Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By PaiN
Hoffman's has another kickass deal going on.....and just when I'm in desperate need of a rifle :roll:
What's the word on these.....?

By Drew
Tough price to beat. Good weapons for the money for sure if the configuration suits ones needs.
By RR917
pass... i probably wouldnt buy the sport version
By nvisn
RR917 wrote:pass... i probably wouldnt buy the sport version
+1 - I would never buy a combat carbine AR without a forward assist. SMH
By Drew
I see it differently. This is an entry level weapon that strikes a price point. It lures the budget oriented and or inexperienced. It's a gateway drug if you will.

Have you ever been at Hoffmans when they had these on sale? I was there for a few hours when they had a similar special 5 mags and 250 rounds of AE ammunition. I saw three go that evening. All weapons were clearly for guys making the jump to an AR.

I say whatever it takes to get them in the game so be it. A year later they will be building their own or part swapping anyhow. jmho
By PLO231
I agree with nvisn and my AR's all have them. However, I never used/needed the forward assist on an M16 except during "Tap, Rack, Bang" drills and I've never needed it on my personal AR's.

For that price point you have to consider that there is really no need for a forward assist on a range gun.
By PaiN
What is an AR anyway ....but a "lower". The M&P15 Sport seems a good way to get started or re-stared on the AR platform. At $599 the Sport also makes sense as a second gun...A second gun has a million uses...getting the wife or kids started, back up for when you're "doing that upgrade" or something for your bud to shoot.
I was really close to getting one before I started running across components more to my liking for sale on the forums. I did check the Sport out at Hoffmans and it seemed very nice, well built as any M&P, I also liked and appreciated its enhanced trigger guard....which is something I'm going to have to replace on the STAG lower I ended up getting.
By JohnFH
Something else to think about,
ALL AR-15's we buy are the "sporting" version of the M16, basicly an M16 with the selective fire control group removed.

Semi Auto bolt carriers are not Mil Spec, either FYI.

My personal take on a forward assist, if I have to force something into the chamber, the next action is usually forcing something out of the chamber.

It was added before it was learned the amount of lubrication and cleaning the platform actually needed.

Think about this, how many other "battle" rifles have a forward assist?
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!