Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By JB925
Looking for some suggestions on building one of the topic rifles. Not sure where to start. Currently own a VTR and a savage .22. All I know is about bolt action rifles. Need some assistance. (not sure if I posted in the right spot) looking also for a .22 kit swap out for the indoor ranges. Any suggestions????
By myglimk2
I believe Hoffmans is still having that sale on stripped lowers for $89.95 or something?
May be able to find cheaper if you shop around a bit.
By JohnFH
Step one, what is the purpose of the rifle you intend to build?

Once you have that figured out, build a rifle that will do what it is you want.
By JB925
JohnFH wrote:Step one, what is the purpose of the rifle you intend to build?

Once you have that figured out, build a rifle that will do what it is you want.
Target shooting. Just recreational, no tournaments or any competitions at all.
By JohnFH
For just something to play with, where weight is not an issue.

Pick any "brand name" lower, skip the collapsable stock, you have to pin it anyway and it's not great for target shooting.

Upper, pretty much the same, again go with brand names and pretty much what ever you like the look of, 20" barrels tend to be in less demand so cheaper and retain higher muzzle velocities, and if you can find an HBar barrel even better, heavier wall thickness.

Unless you have to have something on the end of the barrel, I would go clean, a break for the most part only pisses off the guys next to you on the line, and it's not really needed for recoil.

If your only going to use a scope, go flat top, not sure, get the removable carry handle, I like the A1/A2 style with the fixed carry handle, can't loose it and the batteries in the iron sights never go bad.
By Drew
With CMMG selling dedicated .22lr uppers for $349 maybe skip over the kit.

If your committed to going the kit route I will offer up Spikes Tactical for making one of the best kits available. Alternatively CMMG makes solid kits too that include a locking bolt and a bolt hold open feature after the last shot just like a 5.56 gun.

You didnt mention budget. Do you want something generic and inexpensive or are you looking for something more from the weapon? Better trigger, free float handguard etc.
By JB925
Thanks guys.
Drew- I don't have a real budget, I just noticed prices of complete rifles are around 1500$+. Not sure what exactly would be required to build one. Been doing some searches with the suggestions so far. Looks like it depends on what name brands I buy that will keep me below the 1500 mark. That's not really my budget, but if I could build one for less then that I would like to.

Question, is there anything specialmi would need to make it easy to swap back and forth between a .22 and a 5.56?
By Drew
$1500 you can do something real nice.

Ragarding the .22 aspect no matter which way you go dedicated or conversion kit the change over is a minute to the untrained.

Do you want a quad rail or other railed handguard? Free float barrel? Theres lots of stuff we can toss around. There's some nice alternative stripped recievers if you dont mind getting them online.

Tonight or tomorrow Ill post pictures of the AR-15 I use with and without a .22 upper
By Drew
Here's my 1992 Colt Sporter with a new upper from a few years back.

Here's the same weapon with an early CMMG SIERRA dedicated .22lr upper. At some point I changed out the A2 handguards for the Magpul MOE.

With the A2

With the MOE

By PaiN
Thanks to the good people on our local forums and some wheeling and dealing, I just put together(I refrain from saying "built") what I hope will be a decent AR. I got a complete STAG 15 lower with a pinned stock and a complete Rifleuppers Honey Dipper upper w/ Magpul BUIS.

I see a few things in the future, like a dedicated .22lr upper and something stupid like a .50Beo ....Maybe even joining a club with a rifle range :lol:
By Mopar
PaiN wrote:Maybe even joining a club with a rifle range :lol:
I'd be happy to sponsor you at WLOPA! :)
By PaiN
Mopar wrote:
PaiN wrote:Maybe even joining a club with a rifle range :lol:
I'd be happy to sponsor you at WLOPA! :)
SR9 wrote:Me too!
You guys don't really care about me....you just want to shoot a .50 beowulf .. :lol:
By Mopar
Getting back on topic......
I'll pretty much +1 what John said. Get yourself just about any name brand stripped lower. There is a guy on gunbroker who sells brand new Rock River Arms lower parts kits WITH the RRA 2 stage (non-adjustable) National Match trigger AND either a Hogue or Ergo (I like the Ergo) grip for $115. Can't beat that. Add an A2 style stock (again RRA makes a decent quality one at a decent price) and either a National Match upper from RRA or a Service Rifle upper from White Oak Armament. If you are careful with your shopping you will end up with a decent target AR for under $1000.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!