Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By PaiN
Still on the hunt for the "right" rifle.....
Any opinions on CZ rifles, specificly the "527 Carbine"? I let myself drift away from the mil. style semo-autos(since 99% of the gun's use will be on the range) This CZ is chambered in 7.62x39 and can be had for ~$590
By PaiN
guess CZ makes good centerfires too :D
tx
CTSix
By JohnB
cz makes a GREATenterfire..but the 7.62x39 isnt all that great, and i dont believe you can shoot wolf in it
By PaiN
:? from CTSix's forum link....seems Wolf 7.62x39 is one of the best loads for the rifle...???
Anyway...as far as I can gather Wolf's "American" cals are not so good...but eastern loads like 7.62, 5.45 are very good stuff for the price.
By CTSixshot
I have zero experience with CZ's, but according to the forums I sent earlier, many shoot Wolf in that rifle. Most use the polymer (??) coated vs. the lacquered fodder.
Pain, you'll have a suitable rifle for metal silhouette shooting with that 527, too. (Using cast reloads, as a rule). There aren't a host of cast bullets for 7.62 short, but Lee, Lyman and RCBS have at least one offering. In .223, heh...why bother casting for that. (I don't know if the 44 - 55 grain cast offerings have enough ummphh to knock the steel over).
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
By PaiN
CTSixshot wrote:Pain, you'll have a suitable rifle for metal silhouette shooting with that 527, too. (Using cast reloads, as a rule).
Will you take me?
By CTSixshot
Hmmmm, I'm not very active in that area, but it can be done. Northwestern CT (Colebrook) and Quaker Hill (Oakdale) have the silhouette matches.
I'll have to check their schedules and get back to you.
If I recall, it seems I used my Yugo SKS one time with cast loads. Turn the gas port off and use it like a bolt-action rifle. Amazing!
The M1 Carbine lead RN can be used with reasonable results, too. Even better, if you cast and size it to .310, I suppose.
The beauty of a bolt gun is that you can work down to light cast loads using a few grains of pistol powder and make ammo a neglible cost factor.
Last edited by CTSixshot on Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PaiN
I may go to Hoffman's after the gym and order one of these....and be done with this search. They want $580 and can have it next week.
By CTSixshot
Pain...just resign yourself right now to the fact that you'll want another "right" rifle even after buying the CZ.
Seems to me that Ruger offered its M77 chambered in 7.62x39 at one time; don't see it in their current offerings though.
By JohnB
i can vouch for the .223 CZ 527 in the kevlar stock 1 in 9 twist, its a fantastic rifle, i seriousley suggest you stay away from the 7.62 x 39 version, you have to ask yourself the question of who exactly are these people saying they are getting sub moa..especially from steel cased russian machine gun ammo
By CTSixshot
Will you take me?
If you didn't see my post in the other section, Colebrook (NWCSA) has a silhouette match tomorrow.
We could run up there after the HRG shoot, if you'd like to see what it's all about.

Again...bring your M&P to show there, as well!
By PaiN
JohnB wrote:i can vouch for the .223 CZ 527 in the kevlar stock 1 in 9 twist, its a fantastic rifle, i seriousley suggest you stay away from the 7.62 x 39 version, you have to ask yourself the question of who exactly are these people saying they are getting sub moa..especially from steel cased russian machine gun ammo
I know I can be so damn cheap sometimes.....can you believe I keep going after 7.62x39 rifles because its like $1.50 less/20 vs. .223

That's almost a sickness :P
By PaiN
So when are we meeting at Hoffmans today?
I'm about ready to go
By hayes1966
One of the issues with the 762x39 round is that is it designed for military rifles where the chamber is not as tight as the CZ chamber. I can you you having nothing but trouble shooting military surplus in this gun if you go down that road.

I have a 223 with a 1/12 barrel and with reloads will shoot smaller than dime size holes at 100yds. The 1/9 twist are better as they will shoot std ammo.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!