Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By newguy
Sounds good might give that a shot just get so nervous with springs i am like a bull in china shop with springs they just fly all over place and i am scrambling to pick them up
By jtf650
If you're dropping the trigger housing out of the receiver, the only thing you need to be careful about is the hold open lever. spring, and pin (should be part #s 13, 14, 15 on your exploded diagram in your owner's manual, unless they've changed it). It's on the upper front left corner of the housing, and it has a tendency to fall off and get lost. Unless you're replacing the hammer, you shouldn't need to take it down any more than that for routine cleaning.

One trick with springs is to put whatever you're working on inside a clear plastic bag- say, a dry cleaner bag for the whole gun, or maybe a gallon ziplock for the trigger group. That way, when the springs take flight, and they will take flight, they are contained inside the bag. As long as the bag is big enough to put your hands inside, and clear so you can see what you're doing, it should help with the disappearing spring problem.

I do think it's a good idea to clean up a new gun before first firing it. Opinions vary, but I don't think it's necessary to clean a .22 barrel after every trip to the range. One thing with cleaning the 597 barrel- you can remove the rubber buffer from the back of the receiver and clean the barrel with a rod through that hole, without risking any damage to the muzzle crown. Just remember to reinstall the buffer when you're done!

Glad you're enjoying your new 597.
By Hermes
I like to use Hornady One Shot on my semi-auto .22s. I still do a full takedown every 500 rounds or so, but after every trip to the range I just swab out the inside of the action with some q-tips, spray some One Shot in, and work the action a bit. I like dry lubes for the semi-autos since there isn't much of a film to collect carbon residue.
By AGust82
Douse the action and chamber with your chosen cleaner. I like Break Free CLP. Go at it with a tooth brush and then drag a boresnake through the barrel. After it dries, shoot it out with compressed air. I do this with my 10/22 between real breakdown cleanings and it's always decently clean when I do take it down.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!