Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By PaiN
I need a high-power rifle for my collection...it has to happen.
I have that trade in the works for the Ruger Mini-14, but I don't think it is the rifle for me.
Been doing my homework and looking into options, that fit my price range. I have two I'd like to pass by the forum.
1. Aquire and SKS, add a synthetic stock and magazine load.
or
2. Purchase a Kel-Tek SU-16A...go shooting

I handled an SU the other night, its really quite a rifle and it can take standard AR mags...
By CTSixshot
...okay.
Get the SKS regardless; an operative .30 caliber at under $200 is always a bargain. For a prolific gun buyer like you, PaiN, that's pocket change.
I'd wager that this will be the best bang for the buck of any gun in your collection. It's your call if you choose to double its cost by adding all the after-market frills.
As to the Kel-Tec... I have never handled one. No matter how great it may be, you're still pushing little 55 grainers (mind you, I don't want to stand in front of those either!)
Call me biased, I just favor the bigger bullet theory. (On the economic side, much 7.62 short is still around 22 cents a round.)
By hayes1966
I concur. Get the SKS for now. I have seen the Keltec and while they are pretty snazzy in design they have more plastic in them which may not be as durable.

762x39 ammo is a lot cheaper than 223. Save your money for an AR if you want the 223 route. Ask JohnB and he will say the same but add something else like "nothing better than walking around the house in your undewear on a hot summers night with my AR15 at my side"
By PaiN
I wish I had gotten a chance to shoot that SKS yesterday...my bud, said he got into a spat with his wife and couldn't get the rifle to lend me... :? whatever that means...
His SKS is a 10 years old with less than a 200 round count, he's willing to sell it for $100 but with new going for only $199 I could go either way.
And yes, I'd like the 7.62 round its less expensive than .223 and just plain has more balls 8)
btw: I can get the SKS synthetic stock and mag for about $80-90....I think that is worth it.
The SU-16 at Hoffman's is $399 incl 2 10round mags
By hayes1966
Buy some flowers .. show up at your buddys house and say he told you to get them asap.

Both will be happy and an 10year old sks will do the trick.
By PaiN
hayes1966 wrote:Buy some flowers .. show up at your buddys house and say he told you to get them asap.
and everyone here said you didn't have a sense of humor :lol: hehe
Both will be happy and an 10year old sks will do the trick.
I suspect not much has changed in thier design....but I might feel more comfortable with new...
By hayes1966
I would guess both are probably made around the same time. Just been stuck in a warehouse someplace.

I don't think anyone has been making these for a while.
By JohnB
buy the sks for $100 to get it out of your system..you can always sell it later for probably more than that..hold off on the $400 kel-tec and add a lil and get a used ar15..which is what you'll probably end up with anyway..nothing like an ar15 in your err...nm
its actually very hard to shoot out a barrel, ive not shot a rifle yet that doesnt shoot to some degree or other
By PaiN
I know this may sound odd....but I don't want an AR. I have never had interest in them and none has started. I like the odd-ball carbine, hybred stuff like my 995, the Kel-tek SU and SUBs and at NGE I saw a NBS Ruger PC-9 9mm as it happens when I dropped off my 995 for repair, I absolutely loved that stupid rifle...it was all I could do not to leave with it and tell NGE to toss my Hi-Point in the trash ;)
The SKS is hidious, to be honest, all I like about is that it fires 7.62x39 and its price
By hayes1966
emm .. I think you really nice a nice bolt action rifle that you could reload for ..

and an AR everyone needs one of these rifles
By hayes1966
One more .. don't rule out a Hawkins .. a lot of fun to be had with black powder rifles ...
By JohnB
how about a nice M1 garand or better yet.. M1A ?
By hayes1966
They say the camera adds 10lbs .. :roll:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!