Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By J
Just bought one of these from Hoffmans. Pretty good deal I think. Im not really new to shooting an AR or M4 type rifle but I am pretty new to actually understanding them. So I was looking at the manual and was wondering is this "gas piston operated?" It says that the AR with the "knurled selector knob," is the piston operated variation. So what does that make the ORC model? I was also wanting to put a quad rail on it, would the quad rail cover that "gas block" thats in front of the handguard, or do I have to take that off? If so, how do I cause it doesnt state in the manual, It only says for the piston operated version with that knurled selector knob. Thanks for all your help.
By bizkitjmd1
The ORC is not a gas piston rifle, it is what is called gas impinged (the standard).

If you are looking to upgrade the hand guard keep a couple things in mind:
1: The length of the factory hand guard is 7"
2: If you want to put a free float on you will need the tools to remove the muzzle break, gas block and barrel nut.
3: If you want to put a "mid length" hand guard on you will also need to change out the gas block to a low profile version.
4: Most any after market hand guard will work.
5: There are quad rail hand guard that you can install and keep the factory gas block and delta ring ( one example http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2932 ... _HANDGUARD
By JohnFH
There are free floats that can be installed without removing the barrel.

Removing a "properly" installed muzzle device would involve cutting/drilling if it was pinned, or unsoldering if silver soldered.
And then be repinned/soldered to be CT compliant, something to think about before you start changing out parts.
By Jason
Tangent reply!

Where do you guys go to shoot rifles? I shoot pistols at Hoffman's and have held off buying any kind of rifle largely because I don't know where I would practice with it.
By CTSixshot
Although only once a month, check out the rifle pin shoot at Mattabassett in Berlin. The centerfire rifle and pistol plate matches are held the 2nd Saturday of the month; open to the public.
http://mattabassett.com/events.htm
By JohnFH
I shoot at NW in Colebrook, private club, it looks like we are about to go out to 450 yards for our rifle range (we need a jumping for joy smiley)

Currently at 200m, I like company at the the range, let me know if you wanna go.
By J
The first time I shot my long guns here in CT was at the Meriden Fundraiser for St. Judes. I was going to try to go to Blue Trail Range one weekend. Wont happen anytime soon cause Im down here in Norfolk working for the next month. At least it will be alittle warmer when I get back.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!