Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
By KSODA
Well, I headed up to Wooster Mountain range because I have family just down the road it so happens. I figured with the beautiful weather the place would be jammed, so I left really early, got there at 10am, ended up waiting at the gait for two hours, but I didn't mind, got to meet the range officer (forgive me but I'm lousy on names), what a great guy.

People started pulling in at 11:45 but only maybe 8 cars max. It was a bit tough on me at first because of my neck and low back injuries, he put me at the far end table so I could zero my rifle but my gun case is like carrying a Volkswagon, its the big Bowning Bruiser with wheels, but didn't want to drag it through the dirt. Also had my box of ammo, cleaning kit, small cooler; then you have to walk back to the shack for the target frame and support, set it up on the range, I guess most of you might have been there before and know the routine, it all worked out great though.

The range officer was awesome, very helpful, informative, great to talk to, basically everyone there was great. The place got crowded about noon and I met a lot of really nice people, in fact, the gentleman and his wife to my left had just come up from Forest and Field and was really upset at the owner there. Like I mentioned in another post, I'm all to farmiliar with the owner and one of his employees (the big African American guy) and how utterly rude, obnoxious they are and frequently customer hear the F bomb being thrown around, we all hear it, but come on, not in front of customers, ladies especially. Absolutely zero professionalism.

He said as he and his wife were in the middle of having a conversation, Glenn Beck and his daughter walked in, the guy said there was no excuse me, no nothing, from that point on they just blew the couple off. I'm sure Mr. Beck was overwhelmed with fans greeting him, but I think if he knew what happened, he wouldn't like it.

It cost me $20 and I spent 3 hrs there, what a great deal. The range is nice, people obeyed safety rules, weather was great, target kept blowing over and had to wait for cease fire to fix that...I guess thats why there big rocks all over the range, huh?

I set up my Aimpoint CompM4 sight and magnifier, fired three rounds at 50 yards, cleaned the rifle, repeated this 6 times as the rifle is new and unused, I understand this is recommended. Started out with .223 Remington UMC 55grn. and was amazed at the groupings, first three hits were at 7 oclock but near the second ring and 2 shots were right on top of each other, the third was an inch lower. I haven't fired a weapon since my discharge from the Army ten years ago.

The next grouping after adjusting the windage and hight ever so slightly hit inside the center and one two inches apart. I used up that box, changed targets, used 5.56 Federal XM193 Ball cartridges, then fired a box of Hornady TAP at 75 and 100 yards, and did even better each time. Although I couldn't count each strike, but honestly, I was truely amazed, but I attribute it all to the Aimpoint sight, a truely awesome sight and the 3x Mag module made it crystal clear.

I did experience a problem with the twist mount locking screw for the 3x Mag constantly loosening up from recoil and couldn't tighten the inner allen screw, the female end was stripped out, need to return it. The sight came with a torque knob and spacer designed to absorb recoil, but can't use the spacer because I'm waiting for the twist mount spacer and Cantilever extention for the sight. I'm still unsure if I've ordered the right parts as all Aimpoint catalogs and as well as Bushmaster, they only mention the CompM3 and lower for assessories, I guess the CompM4 is brand new on the market?

One thing I didn't like is the line of sight through the Aimpoints as they look directly through the weapon front steel sight and it appears as a light goastly figure, I found I needed to turn the red dot up bright in the sun light to correct for this. Hopefully by raising both Aimpoints up 9mm this correct that. What I loved was I can keep both eyes open, I only needed to train my right eye to take over for my dominant left eye, but that came naturally with a little practice.

What I didn't like at the range is the firing stations are a mere couple feet apart and there was the new guy and his girlfriend to my left firing an H&K .45 assault rifle and another assault rifle, they decided to shoot two feet from me on the right side of his table as I was seated on the left of mine, I can't tell you how many times I was pelted in the head from his shells discharging, I had to wait several times for them to cycle through a magazine, but we worked it out ok even though my gun case and ammo box filled up with his shells, lol.

Other than that, I had a great time excersizing my second amendment rights, got to meet a lot of great people and all sorts of guns from old black powder pistols and rifles, to tactical shot guns, assualt rifles, revolvers, semi auto's and a hundred different scopes, and I learned a lot. A lot of families came out and had a great time.

I'd like to see the bullets though on harder targets and how they all differ on impact. Any recommendations or suggestions. I seen some people using bowling pins.

I'd definately go back again, hopefully with my new Henry if they ever build it, they've been jammed with orders! Anthony said they've never seen anything like it, nor his late dad who founded this fabulous all- American company.

Thanks again everyone for all the help finding this place, and High Rock maybe next week with my daughters ...they'll love it. Would have never found it without your help.
By CTSixshot
KSODA:

NHRC is up on Rt 17 just a mile or so north of the Northford/Durham line. Should be up there around 0900, but you needn't shoot the first relay. There are about 6 shooting positions, so it will take several relays for everyone to shoot.

http://nhraccoonclub.org/

Center-fire rifle on bowling pins at Mattabassett in Berlin on the 2nd Saturday of the month. You'll be all set with your M4...
By KSODA
CTSixshot wrote:KSODA:

NHRC is up on Rt 17 just a mile or so north of the Northford/Durham line. Should be up there around 0900, but you needn't shoot the first relay. There are about 6 shooting positions, so it will take several relays for everyone to shoot.

http://nhraccoonclub.org/

Center-fire rifle on bowling pins at Mattabassett in Berlin on the 2nd Saturday of the month. You'll be all set with your M4...

My apologies for not writing sooner, ended up with family obligations today, I'll check back for later dates. Thanks for the info!
By KSODA
"I did experience a problem with the twist mount locking screw for the 3x Mag constantly loosening up from recoil and couldn't tighten the inner allen screw, the female end was stripped out, need to return it."

Need to make a correction...after looking closer at the center shaft under a magnifying glass, it is not a female allen head, I merely didn't tighten the nut enough. It would be nice to have a spacer on the 3x mag like the one used on the Red dot CompM4 sight which is designed to absorb recoil.
By KSODA
Man, I'm a little ticked off! I was cleaning my Bushmaster M4A3 last night and noticed after firing it for the first time on Saturday, the pin is walking half way out of the muzzle break or flash supressor. I only fired maybe 100 rounds. Any clues? I'd hate to send it back to the factory and wait to get it back
By randatola
I registered just to reply to this thread because there is a lot of good information in here. I am in kind of the same boat as you KSODA - I just bought a Smith & Wesson M&P15FT (CT legal version of their AR) and was looking for a place to shoot it and sight in the Eotech I'm putting on it.

I didn't see it mentioned but the indoor range in Monroe also allows AR's. You have to buy their frangible ammo there. I think it is only 50 ft. So like you I was looking for a longer range. The people there are very friendly.

About the store in Norwalk... Years ago when I worked in Wilton a colleague and I used to go over there at lunchtime to pop off a few rounds once in a while and it was never a problem. But after my recent experiences there, I will never, ever go back. I'd say that place goes beyond bad service, because usually bad service means a lack of service, or a lack of knowledge. Theirs is something worse - they are actually adversarial towards their customers. I don't agree about the skirt comment, though. When I was there with my girlfriend the guy (not the owner, the other guy) would literally not speak to her or acknowledge her - he answered her questions to me, like she was incapable of understanding on her own.

I'm looking forward to checking out the Wooster Mountain range. I work very close to there but I was never sure of the protocol for shooting rifles or handguns there - the only info I can find is from the trap club that operates it and it all seems trap oriented. I might actually check out the trap shoots too, because I have got to be the world's worst wing shot and it couldn't hurt.

I wasn't aware of the High Rock range at all so that is more great info for me.
By CTSixshot
...and don't forget the freebie in Glastonbury....

see the official re-opening letter under "Announcements".
By SigFan
Seems to me someone made a map at one point with all of the CT ranges and clubs...
By djmiked
SigFan wrote:Seems to me someone made a map at one point with all of the CT ranges and clubs...
I wonder who that was? :wink:
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!