Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc
I purchased a State Compliant Bushmaster M4A3 and would like to practice. Any recommendations in CT? I have my own practice ammo but don't mind buying from the shooting range if thats their policy.

Due to ammo shortages across the nation with .223 and 5.56mm NATO cartridges (any ammo for that matter), the range in Norwalk where I purchased my Bushmaster has been waiting for their frangible range ammo for some time now, but I have a few beefs about ever returning there.

I also have the SASS approved Henry Big Boy 357 Magnum on order and would like to learn cowboy action shooting.

I'm looking for basically an all around range a/o clubs where I can participate with others, as well as to use both rifles. I hope to be a future pistol owner also as I have taken the NRA Pistol class and sent in my application and payments to the police dept.

Many Range's I look up on the web or from the NRA website takes me to another link with a list of ranges in CT, but many ranges do not have a main website and I'm having a difficult time getting anyone to return calls.

The Bridgeport shooting Range is the closest but I understand pistol ammo must be used unless permission is granted, but they only have 50ft ports from what I gather; Norwalk (a 38 mile round trip from home) is the next closest and after spending $5000 in their store in 3 months, I've learned I was often over charged and price gouged on whatever I purchased, I walk out of there often disrespected with short/snotty answers to my questions, and less informed and have had to travel the almost 40 mile round trip merely to hope to see if they recieved their frangible ammo order... why? Because they fail to return messages or even answer their phones.

Many customers I've spoken to have found unless they're wearing a skirt, they are treated in the same manner.

I am a loyal customer when I am treated fairly, respectfully and not taken advantage of simply because a store owner feels he/she can get away with jacking up prices 25%-50% because they claim they are the only dealers capable of getting supplies over any other store in the area;

I understand the crisis and threats by some ignorant/uniformed, even careless powerful law makers and special interest groups in our government to force a possible 500% excise tax, and threatening our 2nd amendment, our entire constitution for that matter and for these reasons firearms/ammo dealers nationwide are facing shortages, I understand why they often have to raise prices.

I am an honorable veteran of the US Army, a new NRA member, as are my three children, and a new gun owner... my desire is first and foremost...safety and to learn and practice all I can, as well as meeting others...

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated and valued.

Thank you!
By KSODA
I should have mentioned; I'm looking for an out door range and I was able to contact the Bridgeport range and was pleased with their helpfulness.
By CTSixshot
The Wooster Mountain Range (RT7 south of Danbury Airport) has public hours. It used to be $15 for the day. You can rent a target stand ($5), if you don't bring your own. It's outdors, 100 yards maximum, I believe. You can shoot paper and other targets (no glass), providing you pick up after yourself. Check first to verify that.

High Rock in Naugatuck is public, outdoors, 100 yards. Only Sat/Sun and crowded.

FWIW, I have some SinterFire frangible fodder, if you don't mind shooting my reloads.
By CTSixshot
Oh...ChrisNCT is a member at High Rock, I believe.

High Rock also does the Cowboy Action routine on the first Sunday of the month. I know a few folks that are into that, but I don't know if they are also members at the HRSA.

http://www.highrockrange.com/
By KSODA
CTSixshot wrote:The Wooster Mountain Range (RT7 south of Danbury Airport) has public hours. It used to be $15 for the day. You can rent a target stand ($5), if you don't bring your own. It's outdors, 100 yards maximum, I believe. You can shoot paper and other targets (no glass), providing you pick up after yourself. Check first to verify that.

High Rock in Naugatuck is public, outdoors, 100 yards. Only Sat/Sun and crowded.

FWIW, I have some SinterFire frangible fodder, if you don't mind shooting my reloads.

Got your private message and responded, thanks so much!

One of the nice guys at the Norwalk store told me about the Danbury location and I just learned of the range links page on this website. I'd like to check out the High Rock location also, but at either place, I understand we bring our own ammo, paper targets and safety-wear Re; safety glasses/hearing protection. And, is "Frangible ammo only" required?

Again, I've found little specifics about either place, but I'm still researching. I also understand they have no store for ammo or range supplies like targets?

Forgive my ignorance, but I'd imagine both locations have a range safety officer?

I'm pretty well stocked on ammo for the time being (.223, 5.56 NATO, 357 Mag. and .38 Spec), but I have no frangible as far as I know...how do I tell the difference? Are frangible rounds clearly noted on the package and ammo or are they designated by a special letter or number code?

I can't seem to get a straight answer from the place I bought my rifle and ammo from.

The link below has a good explaination on Frangible but doesn't really explain how to identify them on the shell case, box or appearance as compaired to a defense or practice cartridge;
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ngible.htm

I think this Saturday I'll take my daughter up to the Blue Trails Range, maybe Bridgeport, but in the mean time I'll look more into the link and info you provided.

I've been stocking up on a wide range of defense and practice ammo for the same fears everyone else has with prices doubling or worse, ignorant laws and restrictions headed our way, but I understand storing ammo long term is not recommended. That should be obvious with anything.

Right now I have a nice MTM plastic utility dry box which has a rubber seal, its water proof but not submersable (again obvious). I 've been saving and tossing in some of those little silica moisture absorbing containers you'd find in medicine bottles or electronics packaging. As long as they don't contact the cartrigdes I guess they'd be fine for now, plus I'm sure to store everything in a safe, secure cool/dry location which isn'taffected by tempurature fluctuations.

So, if I decide to stock up on larger quantities, is this recommened IF I meet recommended storage guidlines for long term storage?

My neighbor (an avid hunter) goes a step further, with ammo he'd store beyond 6 months, he uses that food saver machine and vacuum packs his ammo. Not a bad idea if you ask me.

Well, I've said enough, thanks again for the great info. Hope to see you out at the range sometime.

Kev

By CTSixshot
As of yet, there aren't stringent ammo restrictions at most outdoor ranges. Some don't allow shotshells, only slug ammo. I've seen many posters on other forums speak of restrictions on Full Metal Jacketed ammo and such, but most restrictions in CT only address tracers and other fire-starter type ammo.
Many indoor ranges have velocity restrictions and some only allow cast fodder. Can't say why they do the latter, it may have to do with facilitating lead recycling ...not sure.
Personally, I think lead is going to be the next issue in "public safety", so I'm moving somewhat toward lead-free frangibles now. (This will do nothing about the real public safety issue, but that's another topic altogether.)
By KSODA
I have .223 ammo marked for the range, no mention of "frangible", but even if it were allowed, I don't want to use up defense ammo at a range. I'm thinking of heading up to High Rock or Wooster mountain early tomorrow. I'm suprized they don't have their own web links.

I'd hate drive that far and find out they only allow Frangible. Blue trails tells me they're fairly well stocked. We'll see.
By KSODA
hayes1966 wrote:Where do you live?
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:41 am

Good morning...

Sorry I missed your post. I'm in Fairfield.

I noticed the time and date stamp of the posts on these boards is wrong. I'm sure you posed your message on Friday night but it shows this morning.

I guess I'll be trying to locate High Rock early today...wish me luck.

Hope to see you, have a great weekend!
By CTSixshot
High Rock is in the Naugatuck forest. Take the Rt 63 exit off of rt 8 North; turn left at end of ramp and cross over Naugatuck River. Go left at Scott Street (2nd light after river) to top of steep short hill. Turn left onto Lewis Street. Continue past convenience store and head up hill on the twisty road (Hunter's Mountain Road) past the water tank and down the other side of the hill into the forest. Turn left after passing the creek adjacent to the log home. Range is down this road on the right about .6 miles. You can also take Cherry (first left after crossing Naugatuck River) to Spencer to Lewis and Hunter's Mountain Road if you prefer.
By CTSixshot
KSODA:

You won't be able to shoot your "State Compliant Bushmaster M4A3" at an obsolete bolt-action military match, but feel free to come over to the match at the New Haven Raccoon Club this Sunday (0900 hours). You can shoot my Swede Swiss or Spanish rifle, if you choose.

JohnFH will be there and he's a black gun adherent, too.
By KSODA
CTSixshot wrote:High Rock is in the Naugatuck forest. Take the Rt 63 exit off of rt 8 North; turn left at end of ramp and cross over Naugatuck River. Go left at Scott Street (2nd light after river) to top of steep short hill. Turn left onto Lewis Street. Continue past convenience store and head up hill on the twisty road (Hunter's Mountain Road) past the water tank and down the other side of the hill into the forest. Turn left after passing the creek adjacent to the log home. Range is down this road on the right about .6 miles. You can also take Cherry (first left after crossing Naugatuck River) to Spencer to Lewis and Hunter's Mountain Road if you prefer.

CTSix, I appreciate the time you took to write out the directions, thank you. I'll check them out next week, I actually ended up going to the Wooster mountain range and had a blast (no punn intended), I'll write more about that in a nother post, but had a great time.
By KSODA
CTSixshot wrote:KSODA:

You won't be able to shoot your "State Compliant Bushmaster M4A3" at an obsolete bolt-action military match, but feel free to come over to the match at the New Haven Raccoon Club this Sunday (0900 hours). You can shoot my Swede Swiss or Spanish rifle, if you choose.

JohnFH will be there and he's a black gun adherent, too.

Thats a very generous offer, I just might take you up on that, would enjoy meeting you. Need to check with my kids and see whats up for tomorrow.

I asume NH Racoon Club is in the "Club listings" link on these boards? I'll look into that, but really, that is very kind of you to offer, and you don't even know me yet...man, gun owners are great people (legal gun owners that is)!

Forgive my ignorance...can you explain what an "obsolete bolt-action military match" means?

Can't wait till my Henry Big Boy 357 comes in, its been three months now...met a guy today who had a .22 Henry, what a beautiful rifle! I'm disappointed that Henry still doesn't do the machine work for scope mounts, I guess I need to get that done.

I'll drop you a line if I'm able to make it tomorrow. Again...thanks very much!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!