News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

AR Barrels

Anything to do with rifle shooting, plinking, target, benchrest etc

Moderator: Moderators

J
Marksman V
Marksman V

AR Barrels

Postby J » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:29 pm

Looking to install a muzzle brake (to be compliant) on my M&P15. Or maybe just buy a new barrel with one already on there. Is there a difference in barrels or something I should look for if I have a gas piston or direct impingement AR?

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 pm

Is your current barrel threaded?
"I believe that the human race has developed a form of collective schizophrenia in which we are not only the slaves to this imposed thought behavior, but we are also the police force of it."
-David Icke

JohnFH
Admin
Admin

Postby JohnFH » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:42 pm

Compliant to what?

If you registered an "Assault Weapon" you can have as many evil features you want.

A brake effects gasses after they leave the barrel, so it has no effect on the gas system
Details Count<br>Appleseed it's all about YOU, ask me<br>

J
Marksman V
Marksman V

Postby J » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:39 pm

myglimk2, No my barrels not threaded.
JohnFH, I read somewhere that a flash hider was illegal in CT but a muzzle brake was OK. Also, I called the office in Newtown and had them tell me exactly where it states that active duty military do not have to register high cap mags and so called "assault weapons." Only after we retire or separate from service we have 90 days from then to register those things.

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:59 pm

I can't remember all that was in the bill about AW's or FH's. It might be easier and cheaper to just install a threaded barrel than getting yours threaded. I would start with checking Midwayusa or Brownells etc and reading reviews and what's in stock.
"I believe that the human race has developed a form of collective schizophrenia in which we are not only the slaves to this imposed thought behavior, but we are also the police force of it."

-David Icke

J
Marksman V
Marksman V

Postby J » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Is there any difference in barrels when looking for a gas piston or direct impingement system?

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:35 pm

I don't believe so, but I'll let someone else chime in.

-David Icke

J
Marksman V
Marksman V

Postby J » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Just to clarify:
Is there any difference in barrels when HAVING a gas piston or direct impingement system?

JohnFH
Admin
Admin

Postby JohnFH » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:41 pm

1 NEVER ask the police legal advice.

2 The barrels are the same, only the gas system is different.
Details Count<br>Appleseed it's all about YOU, ask me<br>

220combat
Sharpshooter I
Sharpshooter I

Postby 220combat » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:16 am

JohnFH wrote:1 NEVER ask the police legal advice.

2 The barrels are the same, only the gas system is different.

^^This^^

If you registered your gun as an assault weapon, then there is no limit to the "evil" features that it may have on it. You can leave a flash hider on.

Back in the pre ban (pre '14) days, you were limited on features, and flash hiders and threaded barrels were evil. So muzzle breakers were installed instead of flash hiders, and they were pinned and welded, eliminating those 2 features.

In your case, the barrel is not even threaded, so you have no feature that you're trying to remove. Lave it alone, unless you WANT a threaded barrel or a muzzle break.
NRA Life Member <br>NAHC Member<br>Southington Sportsmens Association Member<br><br>

Return to “Rifle”