Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By SR9
Over the weekend a WLOPA member generously let me try out his Sig P226. I had never shot any of the sig line of handguns, mainly because they have been a bit above my budget.

I have to say it felt like the p226 was designed for me. The grip fit my large hand very well and it was so natural to point and shoot. I really liked the p226 and just put one on my buy list.

Anyone else own or shot a P226? Pros/Cons?
By 05roadking
Sigs are great, I am a big fan. Try out the 229, I shot both and ended up with a 229. Basically the same the 229 is about 5/8 shorter
By SR9
I should do some 10 for 10s at hoffs with the 229 for comparison. The sigs, at least the 226 really seemed to fit my hand.

I don't know that I am a fan of any one make or model as much as liking a real good fit that I can shoot well.

Can't say I have ever met an unhappy sig owner so they must do something right.
By randolf
I had the 226 x5 once .
pro :
more forgiving on recoil
trigger work is smooth
simple safety
handle is well design and pointed naturally
durable

cons :
expensive
heavy
hard to clean
hard to replace worn out part
does not fit in very well on competetive shooting sports

I have CZ compact D its grip orientation is similar to 226
but If I were you dont worry about the handle too much
for this same reason I use to hate my glock .. now its my favorite piece to shoot because its too easy to clean and to replace worn out part.
By Jason
I have a 229 elite in 9mm and it is fantastic. I have no discomfort recommending it.

Cleaning it isn't a chore in my opinion but I do not own a Glock, so maybe the contrast is strong.

I went with the 229 over the 226 because I carry and was worried about printing. If I had to do it over again I'd may have gone with a 226. (CT has become a lot more friendly towards OC since I bought it)
By SR9
Interesting, good points all.

As for cleaning i have a Ruger MKIII and there can't be anything that is a whole lot worse than that. My MKII is a cinch compared to the MKIII.

Over all I am not adverse to making a project out of cleaning, sort of enjoy it actually.

I agree about the price it is up there and right now not really in the budget since I just picked up an AR.

randolf, thanks for a pro and con list, very helpful.
By randolf
I know what you mean when cleaning MK3 have to flip it turn up ,down just to basic clean it , to avoid doing those I used snake bore cleaner + remington spray on other moving part . Basic cleaning 226 are easy if your only going to clean the barrel and oil wipe the slide and frame. I only basic clean my gun every 300 rds but once I used it more than 5x I total strip clean all the parts , glock are easy I can disassemble detailed clean and reassemble all the 30 something parts in about 20 minutes.... I use to shoot about 3T rds a month so detailed cleaning is a must for me or I will expect or fear malfunction during match.
By MessEleven
SR9 wrote:Interesting, good points all.

As for cleaning i have a Ruger MKIII and there can't be anything that is a whole lot worse than that. My MKII is a cinch compared to the MKIII.
Not quite sure where the difficulty in cleaning comes from. The Mark 25 you shot breaks down exactly the same way almost every other gun of its type does...Glock, Smith M&P, etc. Simple slide release, slide spring pops out, barrel pops out, action accessible with standard brushes. Piece of cake.

Frankly, I'm not sure where any of the other "cons" from Randolf come from either...except maybe price. And you generally get what you pay for.
By randolf
MessEleven wrote:
SR9 wrote:Interesting, good points all.

Not quite sure where the difficulty in cleaning comes from. The Mark 25 you shot breaks down exactly the same way almost every other gun of its type does...Glock, Smith M&P, etc. Simple slide release, slide spring pops out, barrel pops out, action accessible with standard brushes. Piece of cake.

Frankly, I'm not sure where any of the other "cons" from Randolf come from either...except maybe price. And you generally get what you pay for.
your only talking about standard cleaning ... even my 12 yrs old daughter can easily do that ... except my wife.
By SR9
Sounds like the difference between a basic field strip and clean and a detail clean where all the parts come out.

I usually just field strip and clean mine after 2 range sessions.

As for the MKIII it is a bit acrobatic but not all that bad once one does it a few times. I still utter a bad word or 2 when I clean that thing. I finally retired it from bullseye duty in favor of the MKII.

In any case I tend to agree that, at least to a point, you get what you pay for. The trick is figuring out where the price/ quality break point is and what you want it to do.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!