Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By BigJonBoy
I'm picking up a lightly used ruger sp101 from a buddy of mine tomorrow afternoon. It has a 2 and a quarter inch barrel and some pretty sweet hogue grips. My questions to you fine gentleman are, does anyone have any experience with one of these? Also ,what would be the best carry rounds for this tank of a revolver. This is the first 357 I've ever owned. I feel like a little kid on christmas eve :lol:
By CTSixshot
Get out there and feed it everything under the sun. It's going to be a handful with the stoutest magnum loads, but it's not impossible to shoot by any means. Likely you won't be expending 2 boxes per range visit, so it won't matter anyways.
Anything from a 158gr LSWC to the fancy hp ammo will be lethal, assuming you hit the target.
Like any revolver chambered in .357 Magnum, you can shoot lighter .38 Specials all day long with ease. (I used to own a 3 1/16th version of the 101...)
I still have my GP-100 and that digests anything from 95gr to 200gr. I will have to measure your cylinder to see if your 101 can handle the slightly overlength 187gr Cast bullet and the 200gr Silhouette bullet.
By BigJonBoy
I would rather the 3 incher, but I got an outstanding deal on the snub. I have wanted to own a sp101 for forever now... I'm super excited.
By CTSixshot
They are beefy little revolvers. Mine went simply due to finances...not from dislike of the firearm.
FWIW, I reload all manner of .38/.357 if you seek some of the less common loadings. Wal-Mart doesn't always offer much variety.
Although it wasn't meant for bullseye shooting, an adjustable sight feature would be easier on the eyes, but it was meant for simple, snag-free operation, I suppose.
By Hddreamer
I had one and regret getting rid of it everyday! I have never shot any revolver that was better than Ruger those guns are ment to last forever!
By Hddreamer
I forgot to say I had a 2 1/4 snub nose also
By GixerJockey
I also just crossed over into Ruger .357 land...

I picked up a GP-100 Hawkeye Talo the other day. It's no Smith and Wesson action, but it sure is beautiful.

And then I went to put it in the safe and came to the realization that I now own 8 .357 revolvers! What the hell? So keep your eyes open. I might have to off one of these things just as a matter of principal.
By punisher
I had this same revolver and recoil wasnt like people were saying it was going to be.
The weight and balance of the SP01 handles the recoil awesomely.
By BigJonBoy
Speer gold dot 158 gr. 357 mag or hornady critical defense 125 gr. 357 mag? Which would you choose?
By XM15
Gold dots are very good. And the higher grain weight is a plus.
By GreggAndrews
BigJonBoy wrote:Speer gold dot 158 gr. 357 mag or hornady critical defense 125 gr. 357 mag? Which would you choose?
Billy-bad-boy isn't going to be concerned with whichever one he got hit with.

.357 is PLENTY healthy in any factory loading. Find whichever load you shoot best with.

(I have an 1894 in .357, and even mild loads gain only 300fps or so... and they hit hard enough!)
By punisher
Corbon makes an excellent round.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!