Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By Bcarp22
Ok so I'm looking to purchase my first 1911 and I'm hoping some of you guys can give me some advice. I've shot plenty of them but with all of the choices out there I don't want to overlook anything. A certain NGX employee suggested a Dan Wesson recently and that has quickly shot to the top of my list. Also thinking Colts and Kimbers. Price point is $1,000-$1,200. I'm not opposed to used and saving some money either. Thoughts and suggestions?
By GixerJockey
The same certain NGX employee says that if your budget is $1000-$1200, and you don't buy a Dan Wesson, you're a fool... :wink:

Seriously, Kimber, and certainly Colt, don't offer anything with the same build quality as the Dan Wessons. Kimber... maybe. But you're gonna have to go well over your budget to get it.

Buy a Heritage, love it forever.
By sludwinjr
dan wessons are great guns.....

also look at STI 1911's, great guns for the money, i personally think better quality than dan wessons, but everyone had their opinions. i have owned both and still have the sti, sold the dan wessons. the dan wesson internals were not as nice as the sti internals. customer service at STI was next to none ( had a mag issue, they sent me a few free mags )

STI's are hard to find locally, park city tactical in bridgeport has a few sometimes, i have a Ranger II 9mm i bobtailed and cerakoted and the gun is outstanding......im in it for just about 1100.
By Drew
you never really mentioned what your after, what's important or what your intended use for the weapon is. Thare are many things to consider that will affect what you get for your dollars.
Finishes, safeties, sights, checkering etc. A $1500 Kimber (as an example) may be no "Better" than their $1000 offering but it may have night sights, front strap checkering, slide release checkering, slide serrations, a flared magwell etc. In the end they may have similar accuracy.
By Bcarp22
Drew wrote:you never really mentioned what your after, what's important or what your intended use for the weapon is. Thare are many things to consider that will affect what you get for your dollars.
Finishes, safeties, sights, checkering etc. A $1500 Kimber (as an example) may be no "Better" than their $1000 offering but it may have night sights, front strap checkering, slide release checkering, slide serrations, a flared magwell etc. In the end they may have similar accuracy.
Sorry Drew you are absolutely correct. So this is really going to be a range gun for me. I don't have any intention of using it as a daily carry. I suppose it could serve as a nightstand gun but at the end of the day I'm really looking for something I can just bring to the range and have fun shooting.
I know that I want a full size all stainless with a simple, classic look. I'm not a huge fan of front cocking serrations (although I would not rule something out based on this alone) and front strap checkering is not a necessity for me. I'm sure any of the 1911's I'm looking at will be more accurate then I am so guaranteed groupings of x at a distance of y isn't at the top of my list. I'm sure they will all be accurate.
Last edited by Bcarp22 on Sat May 12, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Bcarp22
GixerJockey wrote:The same certain NGX employee says that if your budget is $1000-$1200, and you don't buy a Dan Wesson, you're a fool... :wink:

Seriously, Kimber, and certainly Colt, don't offer anything with the same build quality as the Dan Wessons. Kimber... maybe. But you're gonna have to go well over your budget to get it.

I certainly don't want to end up looking like a fool 8)

I've done plenty of reading about all of these guns but at the end of the day it comes down to experience which is why I'm looking to you guys. I really appreciate the help.
By Bcarp22
sludwinjr wrote:dan wessons are great guns.....

also look at STI 1911's, great guns for the money, i personally think better quality than dan wessons, but everyone had their opinions. i have owned both and still have the sti, sold the dan wessons. the dan wesson internals were not as nice as the sti internals. customer service at STI was next to none ( had a mag issue, they sent me a few free mags )

STI's are hard to find locally, park city tactical in bridgeport has a few sometimes, i have a Ranger II 9mm i bobtailed and cerakoted and the gun is outstanding......im in it for just about 1100.
I've seen STI's pop up a couple times now. I really hadn't given them much thought just because I haven't actually seen one in any of the shops I usually go to. I'll definitely look into them. When they do come up in conversation it's usually all good things. Thanks for the suggestion!!
By GixerJockey
Bcarp22 wrote:
GixerJockey wrote:The same certain NGX employee says that if your budget is $1000-$1200, and you don't buy a Dan Wesson, you're a fool... :wink:

I've done plenty of reading about all of these guns but at the end of the day it comes down to experience which is why I'm looking to you guys. I really appreciate the help.

Oh, Im just breaking uoir stones. You know that. Most of my suggestion Jason to do with the fact that i don't own a Dan Wesson... and I really really want one.
By JohnFH
I have a Springfield GI, shoots great and feeds junk other pistols will jam up on. Your welcome to try it. Springfield customer service has always been a phone call away for parts or questions.
By Bcarp22
GixerJockey wrote:
Bcarp22 wrote:

Oh, Im just breaking uoir stones. You know that. Most of my suggestion Jason to do with the fact that i don't own a Dan Wesson... and I really really want one.
I know you are no worries at all. You gave me the suggestion on the XDm which turned out fantastic and I have no doubt at all you are steering me in the right direction again.
By Bcarp22
JohnFH wrote:I have a Springfield GI, shoots great and feeds junk other pistols will jam up on. Your welcome to try it. Springfield customer service has always been a phone call away for parts or questions.
Thanks John. I might have to take you up on that sometime. Regardless of what I pick up I always like getting some trigger time on guns I've never shot before. Thanks!!
By sludwinjr
Actually if I had to listen to a guy at a gun shop for options it would definitely be Noel. Has a lot of good knowledge. Plus he doesn't suck
Lo-mein through a straw when your there shopping

If you ever want to try or check out the ranger II in 9mm let me know I'm only in new Britain by the college.
By dougk
Bcarp22 wrote:
Drew wrote:you never really mentioned what your after, what's important or what your intended use for the weapon is. Thare are many things to consider that will affect what you get for your dollars.
Sorry Drew you are absolutely correct. So this is really going to be a range gun for me. I don't have any intention of using it as a daily carry. I suppose it could serve as a nightstand gun but at the end of the day I'm really looking for something I can just bring to the range and have fun shooting.
I know that I want a full size all stainless with a simple, classic look. I'm not a huge fan of front cocking serrations (although I would not rule something out based on this alone) and front strap checkering is not a necessity for me. I'm sure any of the 1911's I'm looking at will be more accurate then I am so guaranteed groupings of x at a distance of y isn't at the top of my list. I'm sure they will all be accurate.

Just picked up a Ruger SR1911 at Hoffman's..$689....and there appeared to be plenty in stock on saturday when I was there. Sounds like what you're looking for, full size 1911 and a reasonable price
By Bcarp22
Thanks Doug. I actually picked up a Dan Wesson RZ-45 Heritage a few months ago and I absolutely love it. I'm looking to add another 1911 to the collection now! From everything I've heard that Ruger SR1911 is a fantastic firearm. Let me know how you like it.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!