Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By newguy
So myself and my mother are going split the cost to dish out 600 dollars for either a RIA 1911 or a Auto Ordnance 1911 for my dad for Father's Day Next Month. So I am trying to do some research to get a good one that my dad will enjoy. He keeps saying he wants one that shoots like he carried in Vietnam. So which one would be most reliable and have the same sort of handling as the Vietnam war GI model. I know there a bunch of you 1911 guys out there and Vets just looking for some opinions.

Btw 600 would be including tax out the door

Thanks
By GreggAndrews
Get a parkerized GI Springfield and you are SET.

RIA's are solid little 1911's too.
By newguy
Springfield GI is nice but way over the 600 dollar price tag including tax out the door
By GreggAndrews
Springfield GI is nice but way over the 600 dollar price tag including tax out the door
Really? The used ones are usually around $400 something.
By newguy
Ya i really wanna make sure i get him a brand new Virgin 1911 :lol:
By MadSmith
Have a brand new RIA Officer's Model 1911 on the shelf for $495 out the door. :lol:
By phoffer961
newguy wrote:So myself and my mother are going split the cost to dish out 600 dollars for either a RIA 1911 or a Auto Ordnance 1911 for my dad for Father's Day Next Month. So I am trying to do some research to get a good one that my dad will enjoy. He keeps saying he wants one that shoots like he carried in Vietnam. So which one would be most reliable and have the same sort of handling as the Vietnam war GI model. I know there a bunch of you 1911 guys out there and Vets just looking for some opinions.

Thanks
Buds has the Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical 45 ACP 5" Parkerized for $448.00 ships free! They go fast!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... and+Armory
By nvisn
phoffer961 wrote:
newguy wrote:So myself and my mother are going split the cost to dish out 600 dollars for either a RIA 1911 or a Auto Ordnance 1911 for my dad for Father's Day Next Month. So I am trying to do some research to get a good one that my dad will enjoy. He keeps saying he wants one that shoots like he carried in Vietnam. So which one would be most reliable and have the same sort of handling as the Vietnam war GI model. I know there a bunch of you 1911 guys out there and Vets just looking for some opinions.

Thanks
Buds has the Rock Island Armory 1911 Tactical 45 ACP 5" Parkerized for $448.00 ships free! They go fast!

Not exactly milspec. Plus if you are lucky Buds will ship it in time for next fathers day.
By newguy
Going to Try over at NGX on Father's day weekend or maybe Riverview sure someone will have a Father's day weekend sale
By phoffer961
nvisn wrote:
phoffer961 wrote:

Thanks

Not exactly milspec. Plus if you are lucky Buds will ship it in time for next fathers day.
I ordered it this past Monday 05/14 and it will be at my FFL, per UPS, tomorrow... Friday 05/18. I would say that is pretty quick. Normally they take forever to ship, however this time less then a week. I just want to see what this gun looks like and how it fires. I am not sure I will keep it for long.
By newguy
Please post a range review after you shoot it. Kinda interested to see how it works out for you. This way I have a better idea if this is what i should be picking up for my dad.
By phoffer961
newguy wrote:Please post a range review after you shoot it. Kinda interested to see how it works out for you. This way I have a better idea if this is what i should be picking up for my dad.
Will do!
By phoffer961
newguy wrote:Please post a range review after you shoot it. Kinda interested to see how it works out for you. This way I have a better idea if this is what i should be picking up for my dad.
New Guy,

Just got back from the range today and I had the pleasure of shooting my RIA 1911 Tactical 45 and all I can saw is AWESOME! I was expecting the worst and I have to say I am very happy with the gun's performance! It fired great! I put 98 rounds of Remington 115gr Brass FMJ ammo through it and not one issue! No FTF or FTE. Nada! Fired perfectly! I really love this gun! I bought it from Bud's Gunshop online on Monday and it was at my FFL's house by Friday! I had nice tight groups right out of the box! I did rapid fire just to see if I could trip it up, no problems! I have a feeling this 1911 will be going to the range with me often! I also have a Ruger SR1911 and I have to say, this RIA is very close as far as weight and how it feels. I broke the RIA down for a cleaning and it was a breeze! In conclusion I would say this is a hell of a gun for the price! I added the Pearce Grip Insert, I really like the feel of it!

By newguy
Thanks for the update Looks like that will be the way to go.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!