Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By dgallag339
PaiN wrote:
dgallag339 wrote:Okay so let ask this, if your choice's were the Ruger SR1911 OR one of the Philippine made version's for about $200 bucks less what would you do? Is the Ruger really worth the extra coin?
The SR1911, even though $200 more than the Philippine makes, is considered to be equal in build quality and fit & finish to much more expensive($1000-1200) 1911 makes. Keep in mind the cheap Philippine guns are just that....they'll shoot for you but have no where near the feel of a quality 1911 or the endurance. I'd recommend, since this sounds like something you plan on keeping and carrying, if you can swing the extra $200 for the SR1911 get it. In the long run it'll serve you and hold its value better.
Man it's a tough call, I also saw a Springfield Armory GI model for 599.00 I just don't know what to do.
By dgallag339
Let me just say thanks for the input guys. :D
By JohnFH
My Springfield GI is great, would buy another one in a heartbeat, the customer service at Springfield is top shelf and it has the benefit of being a true series 70 1911

Your welcome to try mine if you like
By dgallag339
Alright I (no pun intended) pulled the trigger today on my 1911, drum roll please... Went with a Rock Island armory 1911-A1 4" barrel. Paid $449.00 at Delta Arsenal and let me say the guys there are awesome very friendly and helpful it was my 1st time there and it won't be my last.
By nvisn
JohnFH wrote:
Ruger is a new player to the 1911 market, the Philippines have been doing it since WWII
Not exactly... Ruger has been making parts for Kimber for some years.

FYI My Ruger SR1911 presented with surface rust after carrying it for under 2 weeks.
By GreggAndrews
I have to be brutally honest, even though Ruger uses MIM castings for their internals, I trust any of their castings (including their MIM) to hold up well beyond "abuse" as we would define it.

Those guys at Pine Tree Castings know their sh*t. :)
By JohnFH
Not exactly... Ruger has been making parts for Kimber for some years.
Pratt has been making engines for a long time too but I wouldn't trust them to build the whole plane :wink:

I have replaced too many cracked/broken MIM parts to have the same faith you have GA

As I said earlier, in general I like Ruger they have the ability to produce some great firearms, I just don't know why they decided to take short cuts on this one.
By GixerJockey
Buy a used "loaded" Springfield and never look back...
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!