Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By dgallag339
I have been interested in venturing into the 1911 market, I originally was considering a Rock Island Armory based on reviews I have read and of course the price point I then thought maybe my 1st 1911 should be American made so I looked at Kimber, Sig, Springfield Armory but was turned off by the 800.00 price points, then someone suggested the Ruger SR1911 hmmmm, great looking, American made and can be had for $669.00 but I really was not looking for a full size (5" barrel), stopped in CFT today and he had several "ATI" 1911's for between $469 & $505 so what to do??????Ahhhhhh so many choices!!!!!!
The use for this pistol will be eventually to carry it and occasional range use, no competition or anything like that, opinions???? Thanks in advance.
By JohnFH
The couple of Phillipine 1911's I have seen were nice guns, and the owners were happy. I have a Springfield GI that I have done a little work too and it has been rock solid.

Anything new will be full warranty so no matter what your good.
By newguy
My brother inlaw has one he loves it he got it with a box and two mags at BMG new for $450. We did some research online and found out it they were made on Colts old machines. The company that made them bought Colts old CNC machines.
By Grouse
ATI, rock island. are all good products.

in reality is is very difficult to get a crappy new production pistol. the machining available today makes for very reliable firearms.

more often than not bad guns are operator error.
By dgallag339
Thanks for the reply's I have done some research and found mostly positive reviews, thanks again.
By dgallag339
Okay so let ask this, if your choice's were the Ruger SR1911 OR one of the Philippine made version's for about $200 bucks less what would you do? Is the Ruger really worth the extra coin?
By JohnFH
Philippine made no questions asked, no MIM infected parts
By PaiN
dgallag339 wrote:Okay so let ask this, if your choice's were the Ruger SR1911 OR one of the Philippine made version's for about $200 bucks less what would you do? Is the Ruger really worth the extra coin?
The SR1911, even though $200 more than the Philippine makes, is considered to be equal in build quality and fit & finish to much more expensive($1000-1200) 1911 makes. Keep in mind the cheap Philippine guns are just that....they'll shoot for you but have no where near the feel of a quality 1911 or the endurance. I'd recommend, since this sounds like something you plan on keeping and carrying, if you can swing the extra $200 for the SR1911 get it. In the long run it'll serve you and hold its value better.
By JohnFH
the "cheap" Philippine made as you call them are made on Colt machinery, the Philippines had a contract with Colt to produce 1911 pistols.

I have had the opportunity to handle and fire several, they have been machined and finished well, are tight, and have an amazing quality finish compared to some of the stuff coming out these days.

And there are no MIM parts in a Philippine 1911, Ruger pistols are infested with it.

Ruger is a new player to the 1911 market, the Philippines have been doing it since WWII
By PaiN
JohnFH wrote:the "cheap" Philippine made as you call them are made on Colt machinery, the Philippines had a contract with Colt to produce 1911 pistols.

I have had the opportunity to handle and fire several, they have been machined and finished well, are tight, and have an amazing quality finish compared to some of the stuff coming out these days.

And there are no MIM parts in a Philippine 1911, Ruger pistols are infested with it.

Ruger is a new player to the 1911 market, the Philippines have been doing it since WWII
I've had one Philippine 1911, a Firestorm, got for around $425 and it was reliable and shot well, but felt cheap compared too higher end models and had no where near the fit & finish quality.
My opinion was based on getting the best of both worlds with the SR1911...good price, great quality and a value holder.
By JohnFH
the Philippine 1911 is called a 1911, not a firestorm, that is a different model. You may have seen/had one, we have sold about 10 in the past 2 1/2 years I have been at the shop, and I have been to the range with 4-5 of them.

The blueing on the Philippine 1911 rivals the finish on the older Colts and Smiths

As soon as Ruger drops the MIM parts, I'll consider them a player in the 1911 market.

If resale value is an issue, get a collector gun and stick it in a box someplace.

I would buy 10 of the Philippine 1911's before I would consider the Ruger, that opinion is based on handling and shooting several of them.
By PaiN
Hmmm.....I do believe I detect a Ruger bias somewhere on the forum...

and what's wrong with MIM parts, doesn't Taurus use them? ... :lol:
By JohnFH
Yes Taurus does use MIM, that should tell you a lot right there.

And I have never owned a Taurus for that reason.

Nothing against Ruger in general, I love my MKIII, I just think that they are late to the 1911 market and could have done a much better job.

They have the ability to do so much better, thats why I'm disapointed with what they actually ended up with.

The SP101 and GP100 are great all steel guns, why deviate from something that has a 100 year proven history when it works so good?
By newguy
For the price for a reliable 1911 i just go for it. As for Ruger I personally think it just like buying a GMC vs Chevy you pay extra for the GMC name Just like you pay extra for the Ruger name plate half the time. Always owned Chevy's myself and never a GMC go figure
By dgallag339
JohnFH wrote:Philippine made no questions asked, no MIM infected parts
2nd time someone has mentioned the "MIM" parts which I didn't understand at 1st but kind of do now the other guy who mentioned "MIM" parts also felt his SR1911 was showing some signs of "abnormal wear" and he sold it.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!