Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By richinct
Hi, I am a new member. My wife and I are new to shooting and recently got our carry permits. I have a S&W 357 for home protection that I really like. My wife has arthritis and has trouble working a slide so she got a S&W 38 special double action only, no hammer. We both enjoy shooting and have been going to the range once or twice a week. She is a better shot than I am. :roll:

I am thinking of a 9mm carry gun for myself but am confused by all the different types and terminology cock/half cock, decock levers, different safeties/no satety etc. I have searched around some different forums but it is hard piecing the info together. Can anyone direct me to any articles that explain all the differences and the pros and cons?

From what I have been able to piece together so far I have pretty much narrowed my search to 9mm. I don't want to spend a fortune, just want something reliable so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
By JohnFH
In a nut shell, for 9mm, Glock.

They are ugly as sin, resonably priced, can be run over, dragged through the mud and thrown out an airplane. And when you squeeze the trigger go bang. ( and yes all those tests and more were done to one pistol, and it is still a carry gun)

The 19 is a good mid size, 17 is a little bigger if you like the feel. Don't know the number on the smaller one, but for carry and defense, the 19 carries very well, it's light enough to carry all day. A good holster is a must. Glocks have internal safeties, none to release, finger on trigger it will fire.
There are other quality pistols, I use a Beretta for target shooting.
But for a it has to work always by your side will go bang everytime, they are hard to beat.

Some of the terms, "cocked and locked, half cocked, refer to 1911 style pistols. And their carry conditions.

If your near Torrington, your more than welcome to join me at the range and try out a few.
By hayes1966
+1 for Glock 19.

17 is tool large for a carry piece and the 26 is suitable if you have small hands.
By equality72521
+1 Glock.
Tried the rest. I have never owned a gun I would flat out trust my life to, until I bought a Glock. I resisted for quite a while too, not wanting to be "just another Glock guy"...to my financial dismay.

They're not very ergonomic - boxy grip, which turns a lot of people off to them. But a Hogue Handall slide-on rubber grip helps.

As far as basic gun function: Wikipedia is your friend.
Start here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms)
By JohnB
another + for the glock 19 here, cant beat em !
By richinct
Thanks for the repiles, the Wikipedia article answered a lot of my questions. In doing research, Glock seems to come up as the most popular choice. I am going to see if I can rent one next time I go to the range.
By DRU
+1 on the glock19. It's my first gun and I couldn't be happier. I have about 800+ rounds thru it with no issues. If your wife will be shooting the gun also you might want to go with the smaller version (sub-compact) g26.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!