Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By punisher
Ok I want my first Sig to be a P229.
Anyone here with hands on experience?

Do you reccomend the P229? Why or why not?
Should i buy new or used?
This will be my first Sig.
Advice please.
By PaiN
If you want a show/name piece go for it.
Since you asked I have to tell my opinion...Sigs are getting long in the tooth. They are heavy, fat, expensive, high maintenance and under-capacity(for their size) not to mention going down in quality lately. There are much better combat/duty pistols available and for much less $$$.
By magneton44
Had one in .40 S&W, sold it. As Pain stated, I concur. The 229 was on my list of " have to have" guns. I too, found it to be heavy and cumbersome for carry, it really is a Duty Firearm. Lost my love for it after it sat in my safe more and more.
By punisher
Its for sure not gonna be an EDC but mostly for the range.
Might carry it once in a while but thats it.

Ive read alot of positive reviews on it and just looking a 9mm keeper.
By magneton44
Function standpoint, never had a problem with mine. Sold it to a buyer in Las Vegas for 600.00 + holster , mags. Are you looking at a new Sig? Personally. if I were to buy another Sig, 226, 228,( which I also owned 9mm) or the 229, I'd look for a pre-owned, but that's just me :wink:
By Jason
I have three sigs, a P229 Elite, a 1911 Tac Ops and a P238.

Never had a single failure of any type them. I can't say enough positive things about my experiences with them. There are certainly lower cost options, but I've shot just about every major 9mm pistol and nothing feels as good as my 229 to me.

Hoffman's usually has one in the rental counter, so it's easy to go try one out.

All that said, price is certainly up there on SIG stuff and I think an M&P, Glock or XD is a better price/value. Again; I've shot them all and prefer my SIG but you should try them out.

There are some SIGs I do not like - I've never been fond of the 250 design, for example.

I shot a few before buying the 229 and found my accuracy to be quite a bit higher with it than the others.

If you CCW and want to really hide it then the 229 is too big. I CCW and make reasonable efforts to conceal but I am comfortable with OC. Basically it goes on a holster on my hip and I keep my jacket over it. IWB CCW would be a pain with it.

I'm also a big guy - about 6'3 with big hands. The 229 is fat and may not fit well if you have smaller hands.
By Tank
A p229 in 9mm was my first gun purchase and I love it. It is possible to carry it IWB and have it concealed. Your clothing(good belt+holster too) just needs to be geared towards carrying a non sub compact handgun. I use my p229 for IDPA and love the DA/SA trigger and no external safety. If you can get one with the SRT(short reset trigger) definitely do that. The shorter reset is really nice. I'm not sure how "high maintenance" I'd call it. I let it go through several shooting sessions without more than just a re-lube and it functions perfectly.

I'll definitely shoot it until it falls apart, which I don't see happening any time soon. If you pick up an older model, I suggest seeing how you like the new e2 grips compared to the old style 2 piece grips. I switched to the e2 grips and they're so much more grippier and fit your hand better as well.

edit: Sig factory p229 9mm mags are 13 rds, but Mecgar(company who makes sig mags) sells p228 mags that are 15 rds for $25ish that fit the p229. IMO you shouldn't buy any sig factory mags other than the one that comes with your gun because they're more expensive for less capacity.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!