Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By PaiN
I have an LCP I don't carry(or even have ammo for)...Not that I don't want too I just have to get myself into the usefullness/effectiveness of the gun and caliber.
One part of me feels for general day to day carry as a civie, its all that is needed. Another part of me feels the setup leaves me well under guned and powered.
I know how these topics can go but I'd like to hear what others have to say.

thx
By JohnFH
Shot placement trumps round count and caliber every time, get the most effective round for the caliber you shoot the best and then practice, practice, practice.

A .22 single shot beats a double stack .45 if the 22 hit's it's target first
By myglimk2
JohnFH wrote:Shot placement trumps round count and caliber every time, get the most effective round for the caliber you shoot the best and then practice, practice, practice.

Exactly how I feel about it! This is why I dont feel under gunned while only carrying my LCP.
By PaiN
I know.....I should spring for a few boxes of .380, run the LCP some(its never been fired) and start carrying. If I get comfortable with it, the LCP will be great for summer.
By Mopar
I think it was kix I was talking to about this a few nights ago. I was reading an older study on caliber effectiveness in SD shootings. The study found a few interesting things. One was that something like 70% (I forget the exact number) of "one shot stops" were not physically incapacitating hits. Meaning in the study's opinion the single shot should NOT have stopped the attacker, but it did. The study concluded that the physiological effect of getting shot is often enough to stop the attack. Basically they stop because they dont want to get shot again. This means mouse guns are often more effective then you would think just from technical specs like FPS and penetration. Of course the mouse gun falls off if the physiological effect doesnt work.
By SR9
myglimk2 wrote:
JohnFH wrote:Shot placement trumps round count and caliber every time, get the most effective round for the caliber you shoot the best and then practice, practice, practice.

Exactly how I feel about it! This is why I dont feel under gunned while only carrying my LCP.
I agree with both reasons.
By LTB45
SR9 wrote:
myglimk2 wrote:

I agree with both reasons.
I have a .380 on me all the time.
I honestly feel that this is all that I will ever need in a SD situation.
If I need anything more than that, then I am screwed and would be screwed no matter what handgun I am carrying! 8O

I mean really we are not going to war with our EDC's.
If we we were than we would be carrying shotguns and rifles all the time.
By PaiN
That's the thing...Some people can grab any gun and shoot well.....one thing I've noticed over the years is I'm not one of them. Certain guns don't work for me and the effect on my shot placement is dramatic. The LCP was one that didn't work well with me. I realize its a close in gun but I still want to be confident I can place a shot at range.
By GreggAndrews
Shot placement trumps round count and caliber every time, get the most effective round for the caliber you shoot the best and then practice, practice, practice.
Admittedly, I don't own a cartridge handgun, but my 1851 Navy is a .36, producing similar ballistics to the .380 at the muzzle.

I wouldn't feel undergunned if I carried it.
By 67malibu

Exactly.
I used to go every sat and sun practicing. got pretty good with the p85 I had.. took a long time off and just recently got back to the range and well I totally suck at hitting the plates.. 24 shots with the M&P9c only dropped 8 plates. my kid goes 24 shots and drops 19 plates first time with the gun.. WTF. :roll: he says Dad get a sling shot I'll keep the 9c. lol

I've been considering getting a j frame or a lcp for edc. and maybe a larger caliber for the home or if shtf.
By GreggAndrews
I've been considering getting a j frame or a lcp for edc.
Don't bother with J-frame S&W's. According to experts, the .38 Special won't penetrate body armor, and the low capacity klippz won't allow you to fight off all the ninjas. :lol:
By 67malibu
Yah well as said above if a person gets shot it may "wound" them or scare the shi* outta them and they leave.

I like the airweights in .38 and if I had to pull a weapon I aint going for a body shot. if I pull it that means I'm in deep shi* and someone is getting a 3rd eye.. that is if I practice and can hit a damn thing.

Thank you Pain for this thread ! you just made me think hard on what I'm doing with my gun selection finally i can stop mind f^@king myself over the next firearm.
By GreggAndrews
Yah well as said above if a person gets shot it may "wound" them or scare the shi* outta them and they leave.
Friend, the only cartridge I think that might only "wound" someone, is either a .22CB cap, or .25auto. :wink:

.38 is a good manstopper. I really like the Centennial Airweights myself. :D
By SR9
PaiN wrote:That's the thing...Some people can grab any gun and shoot well.....one thing I've noticed over the years is I'm not one of them. Certain guns don't work for me and the effect on my shot placement is dramatic. The LCP was one that didn't work well with me. I realize its a close in gun but I still want to be confident I can place a shot at range.
You could put the LaserLyte laser on it. $79 I am testing it now.
By JohnFH
Laser sights are bad.

They take your attention away from where it is supposed to be focused, batteries can go bad and lasers can break. And if you train with a laser and the time comes that you need it, and it's not there, you are screwed.
The precious seconds you lose looking for a dot that isn't there are the same seconds that can get you killed. You should be squeezing the trigger, not looking for a dot.
That's the thing...Some people can grab any gun and shoot well.....one thing I've noticed over the years is I'm not one of them. Certain guns don't work for me and the effect on my shot placement is dramatic.
It is a learned skill, just like hammering a nail, if you can hammer a nail with your hammer, you can hammer a nail with my hammer.

If you can shoot a group with a Glock you should be able to shoot a group with any gun, the basics never change.

Ask yourself, when you shoot, how often do you focus on the basics? How often do you do dry fire practice? Do you do any exercises to strengthen the shooting muscles?

Good shooters are made not born.

My 1 cent for the day, I would give two, but they tax ideas now
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!