Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By punisher
BG380 EDC and searching for a EDC 9mm.
By MadSmith
I know one of our customers carries a rather unique piece under his jacket. One of our bullpup AK74s in a single-point sling mount under his arm.

Yes, even *I* think he's a little odd! Heck, so does he.

Weirdness aside, it's hard to argue against 31 rounds of hollow point 5.45x39.

8O
By nvisn
Must be a PITA to unload every time you get in the car.
By MadSmith
The big fella's an a cop. Seems they either retain certain privileges even when off-duty, or the statute wording is fuzzy enough for him to think he can get away with it.
By GreggAndrews
Hmm... Wouldn't one of the Draco pistols in 5.45 be legal to carry?

Pointless yeah, but still...
By Rich_B
GreggAndrews wrote:Hmm... Wouldn't one of the Draco pistols in 5.45 be legal to carry?
Why would it need to be a pistol?

A rifle or shotgun is perfectly legal to carry openly or concealed.
By MadSmith
Rich_B wrote:
GreggAndrews wrote:Hmm... Wouldn't one of the Draco pistols in 5.45 be legal to carry?

State statute on rifles in vehicles. Have to be unloaded, whereas pistols are fine to be carried loaded, just not transported (like cargo) in a loaded condition.

Draco pistols run afoul of CT AWB laws, and are a bad idea to begin with due to terrible balance and handling, and even worse ergonomics than its rifle counterpart. However, they are legal for law enforcement, who are exempt from AWB.

From our gun shop sales, compact 9mms are the most popular for CCW.
By Rich_B
MadSmith wrote: State statute on rifles in vehicles. Have to be unloaded, whereas pistols are fine to be carried loaded, just not transported (like cargo) in a loaded condition.
I am certainly aware, but the comment being referenced was about carry, not about transportation in a vehicle.
Draco pistols run afoul of CT AWB laws, and are a bad idea to begin with due to terrible balance and handling, and even worse ergonomics than its rifle counterpart. However, they are legal for law enforcement, who are exempt from AWB.
Indeed. That is why I would question why someone would try and recommend a clearly illegal alternative when a clearly legal situation was being discussed.
By GreggAndrews

Loaded longarms are a no-go for carry/transport. The Draco is still technically a "pistol" by definition, and would be legal to carry locked, cocked & ready to rock... no matter how impractical.

I pointed the Draco out as kind of a general reference. Good point, that it runs into the AWB. Even like nvisn's build with a fixed magazine (AR pistol), the same would apply (still a pistol, still carry-able).

L.E. are not impervious to the AWB though. They cannot personally own anything you can't.
By Rich_B
GreggAndrews wrote: Loaded longarms are a no-go for carry
Um. No. Please cite the CGS that says this.

L.E. are not impervious to the AWB though. They cannot personally own anything you can't.
While you are mostly right, this does give some pretty broad latitude:
Sec. 53-202c wrote: (b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the possession of assault weapons by members or employees of the Department of Public Safety, police departments, the Department of Correction or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties; nor shall anything in sections 29-37j and 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a prohibit the possession or use of assault weapons by sworn members of these agencies when on duty and the use is within the scope of their duties.
By GreggAndrews
nor shall anything in sections 29-37j and 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and subsection (h) of section 53a-46a prohibit the possession or use of assault weapons by sworn members of these agencies when on duty and the use is within the scope of their duties.
Anything that is issued to them is exempt. However, an LEO in this state cannot go out & buy a Colt Sporter or anything else that has been banned.
By Rich_B
GreggAndrews wrote:Anything that is issued to them is exempt. However, an LEO in this state cannot go out & buy a Colt Sporter or anything else that has been banned.
That is not what it says. It says anything used in the course of their duties. While it isn't a huge difference, that is a pretty decent amount of latitude. It says nothing about requiring the department to purchase it for them.
By hayes1966
Time to sit down with a :pint: and :popcorn: for this show !!
By myglimk2
hayes1966 wrote:Time to sit down with a :pint: and :popcorn: for this show !!
Sounds good to me! :lol:
By GreggAndrews
That is not what it says. It says anything used in the course of their duties. While it isn't a huge difference, that is a pretty decent amount of latitude. It says nothing about requiring the department to purchase it for them.
Within the "course of duties" is work related.

When they are off duty, they are no longer pursuing or within the course of their work related duties. When they are engaged within the course of your duties, then at that time, they are using equipment that is issued to them by their department. They cannot just take an AR off the shelf, put all the goodies they want on it, and throw it in their cruiser & it be hunky-dory.

When they are off duty, they can purchase any gun that they like, as long as it is legal in CT. The only thing LEO's have that we do not, is LEOSA, and that only allows carry where we are not permitted (and then again, I don't agree with it), interstate or otherwise.

They do not own the gun that is in the center console of their cruiser, or on their hip. They are given to them, to be used during their time working.

They cannot sell, give possession of, or otherwise transfer that particular gun to anyone at any given time. At the end of their employment, those arms are given back to the department.

They cannot own what we civilians cannot. Point blank, that is what it is. They have no more rights than you or I do.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!