Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By Drew
I dunno maybe it's just something you get used to. I did go through many setups before ending up with the Kramer stuff. The horsehide is great. I'm a pretty big guy too and that may help. The P12 while chubby is a compact double stack 1911.
By Arby238
Glock 26, sometimes a Glock 19
By PaiN
Drew wrote:I dunno maybe it's just something you get used to.
Comfort is one thing and no I don't like the feeling of a big gun, but I could get used to one. Same as concealment, "Its legal, who cares if its made".
In a real sense, I can't get over some "tactical" issues of a full size pistol. One, I don't dress the same all the time, I often have to carry in coat or on sweats, the bigger and heavier the harder this is. Two, I have to be able to "on and off" the gun with holster quickly and frequently, too move it from my person to its stows(which also don't fit a large pistol). Three is the real problem. A full size on me, is difficult to get at, especially in a non-standing position or in a vehicle. They usually jam way high on my torso and all but impossible to get too, the more around my hip the gun is, the more pronounced this difficulty becomes.
By viola
Glock 19 AIWB in a Raven ACR. The only way i can 100% make the gun literally disappear
By Drew
PaiN wrote:
Drew wrote:I dunno maybe it's just something you get used to.
Comfort is one thing and no I don't like the feeling of a big gun, but I could get used to one. Same as concealment, "Its legal, who cares if its made".
In a real sense, I can't get over some "tactical" issues of a full size pistol. One, I don't dress the same all the time, I often have to carry in coat or on sweats, the bigger and heavier the harder this is. Two, I have to be able to "on and off" the gun with holster quickly and frequently, too move it from my person to its stows(which also don't fit a large pistol). Three is the real problem. A full size on me, is difficult to get at, especially in a non-standing position or in a vehicle. They usually jam way high on my torso and all but impossible to get too, the more around my hip the gun is, the more pronounced this difficulty becomes.
The vehicle thing is why Im testing out the Glock in a shoulder holster. Living in New Haven changed the way I carry versus when I lived in Seymour. Probably a subject for another thread though. There was also a time when I was content with the 5 shots offered by the 642. It took one incident to change that. Not sure if I ever went public here with that story, cant recall.
By sjcolwell2
When ever i'm in a bad neighborhood my carry gun rides on the passenger seat ... lol
By nvisn
When I drive with passengers it stays in the center console. When I drive alone it stays on my lap.
By myglimk2
nvisn wrote:When I drive with passengers it stays in the center console. When I drive alone it stays on my lap.
Most of the time your passengers are armed too!
By nvisn
Good point.
By SR9
My favorite carry gun (LCP) is my only carry gun and not ideal by any means. I pocket carry when I am up and around but in the car I switch pockets (in winter) to my coat which has an easily accessible front pocket. In summer I wedge it between the seat and console, easy to reach with very little arm motion and very hard to see from the driver side window. Not great but works for me.
By myglimk2
SR9 wrote: In summer I wedge it between the seat and console, easy to reach with very little arm motion and very hard to see from the driver side window. Not great but works for me.
I do this at times also, but mainly with the Glocks.
By 2dobies
Taurus Model 605 .357 magnum, 5 shot, 1.875" barrel. When I started shooting steel plates at 25 yards with it I figured it would be a good carry gun.
By sjcolwell2
2dobies wrote:Taurus Model 605 .357 magnum, 5 shot, 1.875" barrel. When I started shooting steel plates at 25 yards with it I figured it would be a good carry gun.
I had one of those, just recently traded it in. Very nice gun , but I wanted an SP101 w/ 3 inch barrel instead.
By legion599
After almost two decades of searching, I think I've finally found MY ideal carry pistol. The HK P30.

It fits me like no other, and yes, while slightly bigger than some other choices it's feel, shootability, accuracy and durability make it just about perfect. The DA/SA trigger is a bit on the heavy side, but it can be mastered with a little work. Plus, the grip shape and size encourage proper hold and trigger placement like no other pistol I have - and I have quite a few. It's just easy to shoot this gun well.

In a Milt Sparks "Watch Six" holster, it holds extremely close to the body and tucks the long butt in just fine. On the rare occasions when I need just a little smaller grip length - or possible pocket carry, the HK P2000sk plays the understudy role just fine.

The only thing I need now is another one with the light LEM trigger...y'know, just to have.
By jkysmrf
I love the Keltec PF9. Got the belt clip on it. I forget I'm wearing it most of the time. Hate the DAO trigger, but it puts holes into whatever I'm pointing it at.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!