Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By PaiN
I'm not really sure how I got on to the Diamondback DB9 this morning. It is not a gun or company I've even given a second thought too but no matter now, I been been reading reviews and looking at vids all morning :)
The DB9 is a really tiny 9mm, a true pocket carry. I remember the DB380 as not being very well received but its (slightly)bigger brother seems to have whatever kinks worked out that the 380 had. The reviews and general consensus seems to be the DB9 is an amazing pistol, reliable, controllable and absolutely concealable.
I guess I might be interested in owning micro pistol for those times when carrying a bigger gun just wont work. Something that happened to me just this week that has never happened before carrying small pistols like my CM9...I had to go to a party for work, which required me to stop home and quick change into dress clothes. To keep this short, I could not get the SR9c to carry or conceal(which it HAD to be at this party), I struggled for 10mins but it was a lost cause, ended up leaving the pistol in the truck.... :?
Back to the DB9...This looks like a piece to give serious consideration for my new found need.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axkYvgRdW4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gASrfejYC6w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goTbzxwbq60
By Mopar
Very interesting! :lol:
Not much bigger then the Kel-Tec .380 and slightly small (but less capacity) then their 9mm.

I did come across this when looking for more info:
“Notice: Diamondback Firearms does not recommend using any 9mm Bullets above 124 gr or any Ammunition that is rated NATO, +P, +P+ or anything else that is higher than SAAMI Standard pressure 9mm. The DB9 is the smallest and lightest 9mm available on the market and was not designed for the abuse and damage that these rounds cause. Any use of non recommended ammunition in a Diamondback Firearms will void the warranty.”
That does limit you a great deal for self defense ammo, and it gives me some concern as to just how strong/durable the gun is. I know it's not a range gun, and sacrifices must be made for size and weight, but still makes me wonder how many rounds you can shoot for practice/training before you need to worry about reliability for carry?
By sludwinjr
its a decent gun pain, my buddy has one and put it through the ringers. i had the db380 for about 2 years and had no issues. i heard 1 or 2 of the tech designers from keltec split off into a deal with a boat manufacturer and came out with diamondback firearms. for the price i think its a hell of a gun. i think kahr is a better firearm personally but kahr also has issues and sometimes needs to go back.....

newington has a db9 for under 400 in stock as of yesturday
By PaiN
Mopar wrote:Very interesting! :lol:
Not much bigger then the Kel-Tec .380 and slightly small (but less capacity) then their 9mm.

I did come across this when looking for more info:
“Notice: Diamondback Firearms does not recommend using any 9mm Bullets above 124 gr or any Ammunition that is rated NATO, +P, +P+ or anything else that is higher than SAAMI Standard pressure 9mm. The DB9 is the smallest and lightest 9mm available on the market and was not designed for the abuse and damage that these rounds cause. Any use of non recommended ammunition in a Diamondback Firearms will void the warranty.”
That does limit you a great deal for self defense ammo, and it gives me some concern as to just how strong/durable the gun is. I know it's not a range gun, and sacrifices must be made for size and weight, but still makes me wonder how many rounds you can shoot for practice/training before you need to worry about reliability for carry?
Some of the reviews dig deep into those ammo recommendations/restrictions...They are a concession that has to be made engineering a <12oz 9mm. I don't carry +P anyway, just plain ol' Critical Defense 115g. In reality how many rounds are going to be shot through a back up gun like the DB9? For me, I'd likely get a few hundred through, testing and getting to know the gun. Then just keep it around for when needed and shoot for maybe 40-50 rounds every now and again to keep in practice. I bet it wouldn't see more than 1k rounds for many years...
By Mopar
PaiN wrote: and one you just have to watch, for the entertainment alone :D

BigDaddy Hoffamn
Ok, that guy was cracking me up! Just how many guns does he have up his ass? :o
By GreggAndrews
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhkHML6L ... re=related

I'm not going to take this as fact... but even going against the recommendation that P+ not be used, I still don't like the idea that it's so fragile, as to rip apart with so few P+ rounds like it did.

Crap. My grammar is going downhill. Got back from VT, went hunting with a friend & his son this morning and probably shoudl get to bed. :lol:
By sludwinjr
Who really knows how true that vid is. That's a lot of damage even from a +p Round. At some point all guns have problems that can end up blowing up. I'd need a lot more true verified stories from reputable companies or people to stop me from buying one.
By PaiN
I stopped by Jo-Jo's and they had two DB9s and a DB380 on hand, it was good to see and handle one in person. It is hard to describe how slight the DB9 is, however it stills maintains a good feel, unlike the LCP/P3AT the DB9 feels like a gun. The sights seem to pop nicely and would work well in a defensive situation. Its DAO trigger was surprisingly clean and smooth, although cramped for my hands especially in the trigger guard. The two I saw had a parkerized black finish, that looked okay but not very tough. Diamondback offers a DB9 EXO finish model(like Glock) that is a hell of a lot better because it'll last forever.
I did not buy one... why? $399 +tax, too me that's way too much for the use this gun will get.

edit:
I looked up the DB9 EXO on Bud's they e-mailed me a price of $350 shipped, so that's $375-380 after fees which is better but still over what I feel they are worth.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/72972
By GreggAndrews
Who really knows how true that vid is. That's a lot of damage even from a +p Round. At some point all guns have problems that can end up blowing up. I'd need a lot more true verified stories from reputable companies or people to stop me from buying one.
I can definitely agree with that. This being said, it's one of those things I'd still be a little leery about. Being so small, it seems like they'd be too frail to handle the pressures of 9mm constantly.

That's just my take on it.
By Mopar
Just to confuse ya, check out the Boberg XR9: http://www.bobergarms.com/
By sjcolwell2
I just purchased one for my wife two days ago. She usually carries a Keltec P3AT, but I've been trying to talk her into carrying something alittle larger caliber wise. We looked at a couple different light weight revolvers and a ruger LC9 and settled on the DB9 instead. Its way smaller that the Ruger or PF9 for that matter, And thats whats its all about for the wife. I plan on taking it the the range this weekend the run aleast a hundred through it with her.
By PaiN
sjcolwell2 wrote: I plan on taking it the the range this weekend the run aleast a hundred through it with her.
Now that you said it ....by rules of the forum you must post a range report ;)
I'll be waiting...
By hayes1966
The report should come from his wife !!
By sjcolwell2
PaiN wrote:
sjcolwell2 wrote: I plan on taking it the the range this weekend the run aleast a hundred through it with her.
Now that you said it ....by rules of the forum you must post a range report ;)
I'll be waiting...
Sounds like a plan
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!