Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By stook2001
Hello,
I recently completed my NRA basic safety class and would like to submit my pistol permit application soon. The application asks for the name and telephone number of my manager. Should I expect my employer to be contacted as part of the application process? I may choose not to apply if this is the case.

Alternatively, I may put my own work telephone number on that section of the application in order to head off the call OR simply leave the whole section blank. The concern here is that this could be viewed as lying on the application, which is a misdemeanor. I'm probably over thinking it but would like to get some feedback from others on the topic.

I live in Stamford, if that matters.

thanks!
By hayes1966
Is that the town permit part? I never saw that on the state list. I know some towns ask for references but this is new.

What happens if you are self employed?
By PaiN
In Bristol, I had to turn the app. in face to face.....If there is something not understood or you are uncomfortable with, there should be no problem asking the officer taking the application. If you don't want your employer contacted in this matter, it would be best to talk openly about it with the department, find out why it is asked for and what they will do with it. Don't try to do anything sneaky like intercept calls or leave out info.
By stook2001
The Employer information is on the green state application that is filed with the local police to get the temp permit. It must be consistent statewide. Having said that, I have searched for others looking into this issue and not seen it asked.

Asking the local PD about their procedures is a good idea.
By GRJSKS
Hi, I don't know whether it was the state or local PD, but they did contact my manager during the process.
By hayes1966
To verify employment or to question character?
By GRJSKS
Hi,

Sorry I can't give any more info. I only heard from my supervisor that the police had called my manager asking about me.
By richinct
I just got my permit a few months ago and wondered about that myself. As far as I know they didn't call my employer, at least no one told me they did.
By DigitalVyruz
I wouldnt be worried about it, its usually to verify your employment for application purposes, I had the same thing and they never called my employer or supervisor and i work for the state, im close enough with my director / supervisor that they would have said something about it to bust my b@lls
By SR9
I remember filling out that supervisor info but never heard anything about it at work and I work a secure facility.
By Arby238
I have never been contacted about any of my emploies.
By guinness126
It probably depends on how thorough they want to be. I know that when I applied in Middletown, they DID contact my employer. I had told my employer prior to, though, what I was planning on doing. All they did was call my employer up, ask if I were an employee, and if they knew that I were filing for a pistol permit. That is all they asked.

On the OTHER hand, they not only called the people that gave me recommendations (which are VOLUNTARY, not mandatory, but highly suggested), but they also called random neighbors. Which I think is quite ballsy and unwarranted, since my recommendations came from my neighbors. They happened to contact the "one neighbor" that is undergoing psychiatric evaluation, too. 8O
By hayes1966
That is why there should be only one state permit and remove the town/city from the whole process. There is no standard amongst them and if you happen to piss some cop off .. bang there goes your permit.
By nyalex98
I got my permit in 3.5 weeks, my wife applied same time, and FBI keeps rejecting her fingerprints, the detective in my precinct said she can go rub a bank now and not get caught. It's been 5 months now , she still has no permit. 8O
By SigFan
nyalex98 wrote:I got my permit in 3.5 weeks, my wife applied same time, and FBI keeps rejecting her fingerprints, the detective in my precinct said she can go rub a bank now and not get caught. It's been 5 months now , she still has no permit. 8O
New Haven, here. Took me close to four months. But once you have it, you tend to forget about how horrible the experience was and just marvel at all the fun toys you can carry around with you. Coming from Chicago, this was a nice treat!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!