Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By PaiN
Since my wife has pretty much informed me that she will be taking my LCR as her EDC soon :( ...I am going to have to find yet another EDC gun for myself.

I really wanted one of the new Kahr CM9's before I found the LCR but as good as Kahrs are it seems that every one I have owned I didn't want to keep for one reason or another, I just don't feel the luv....
I've been looking at other options and the Sig P290 is really looking good. Its small light, by all reports reliable and comes with night sights standard :). The P290 is also well designed and built.

Have a look
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=ldy ... 574f01dd42
By JohnFH
you know, you can own 2 of the same gun, and for couples that carry together, having interchangble ammo and mags is not a bad thing.
By PaiN
JohnFH wrote:you know, you can own 2 of the same gun, and for couples that carry together, having interchangble ammo and mags is not a bad thing.
That very well might happen.... but I take this as a opportunity to look at options ;)
By JohnFH
Since my wife has pretty much informed me that she will be taking my LCR
I see, this actually says "I want to go buy a new gun" :wink:

I haven't been very happy with SIG in general recently, not sure I would go for it.
By PaiN
okay....I'm off this gun, it was only a momentary thing
By sjcolwell2
Yeah they are very nice guns
By JohnB
i think i want a p238
By Jason
I'm up to three Sigs and they've all been flawless. I do clean regularly, but I also shoot hundreds of rounds in a session sometimes.

The 1911 Tac Ops is new and only about 150 through it. No failures or complates about function. I DO have an issue with the coating. The magwell has some minor scratches already and the rear sight edges are showing through the paint slightly. Like holster wear... except I haven't carried it.

The P238 I do struggle with, but I don't think it's the gun. Pistol is great, but accuracy is not great for me. It's not horrible, but it's so far behind what I do with a 229 or the TacOps that I end up not carrying it much.

The P229 is amazing. I can't imagine a better pistol for me. Have had it nearly a year and never any issues. I do carry it a good amount and if I had to rate it, it'd be in "Like New" condition. It's amazing to me.

From reading various forums, it's clear that SIG is trying to enter into different markets and may not be making the best job of it. The three I have are flawless so far, but I've read about people who haven't been so lucky.

All that said - I haven't found a fondness for the P239 or the P250. I did hold a 239 but found it so close to the 229 in size that it seemed silly.

I have a feeling I would find the P290 to be similar to the 238, but with more kick.

Lots of Youtube vids on it, of course.
By PaiN
I was bound and determined to find a Kahr CM9 today. I was making the rounds and was at my 4th stop(one of my favorite shops)where I spotted a Sig P290...at first the feel of it was very strange to me. The P290 was so short and stout but after a few minutes of handling it the little gun started to feel really good, especially the perfect stippling/texture. I had them take out a PM9(no CM9 avail.), somehow side by side the P290 felt better and is actually smaller than the PM9...?? The triggers are different but comparable with smoothness going to the Kahr but I had no complaint on the Sig's either. I thought the P290 to be a great deal also. Here's why; I expected to pay ~$430 for the CM9, then add night sights which would put the total cost to ~$550. This Sig P290 was listed at $599....including Sig Lite night sights, a paddle holster and the Sig laser!! ;) ..It also happen to fit in the ItW holster I'm currently carrying my(wife's) LCR in. I'm taking to the range tonight or tomorrow and will report back on the shooting ASAP. I will be getting the "extended" mag for this P290 as soon as Sig makes them available.

By hayes1966
Sigs are real nice firearms. I have yet to fire one I didn't like.
By PaiN
Well hayes.....add another good one to the list :)

The P290 its a great shooter :)
I was hard on it for 200+ initial rounds, a mix of Federal Champion, Remy UMC, Brown Bear and my 9mm carry ammo; Federal LE Barns XPB 115g +P
Operation was flawless through all of it. Shot with out cleaning, Two handed, weak handed, even upside down. Accuracy was as expected, once I got use to the gun all rounds were kept in a 4" shoot & see out to 20yards(standing), tightening at closer distance. POI was low to hold at these ranges. The P290 is also comfortable to shoot. The stubby grip is hardly noticeable once its settled in hand. Recoil and flip are very tame, rounds will fly as a fast as you can squeeze. I wore it appendix ItW and the P290 is a sweet carry, I know it'll be even better once I find a proper holster.
I have three small complaints. First the mag "hitches" a little bit on insertion. Second, the feed lips are sharp(glad I had my Lupa with me). Third, the slide lock is like a spear point, I smoothed that out with 200 then 1500 grit sp when I had it apart.
By PaiN
I got another 150 through my P290 last night...It ran better than the first 200 rounds which were flawless. Functionally the pistol is very sound, but it felt more "broken-in" than the first outing. My grouping showed much improvement too...
There is some talk that the P290 light strikes on WWB(you know how talk goes :? ) I didn't get a chance to pick up any WWB but I did bring 50 of my good Winchester 124g 9mm NATO stuff and as I said, no issues. I'm really digging this little gun :)
I managed to find one of the hard to find P290 8 round magazines w/ extension and ordered it immediately(good thing I was fast it was the last one in stock), I'm also waiting on a DeSantis Pro-Stealth holster to come in for it. I can't wait for this one, I'm using a cheapo modified LCR holster, while it does work its not a great fit or ride for the 290....

http://www.sigsauerguns.com/now-in-stoc ... -magazine/
By PaiN
Here is the P290 breaking-in a new Don Hume 715(for Kahr PM/MK 9/40) It is a very close fit, I'm going to use it...I'll take leather over nylon any day..and its thinner than the DeSantis.

and with the 8 round extended mag.

Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!