Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By ElMar
I'm sure this has been covered before but be kind, help a newbie out. 8)

I just got my town permit issued and I now need to go to DPS in Middletown to have the state permit issued.

Any pointers before I go and get turned away for some paperwork reason? Planning on bringing my Passport and Birth certificate as proof of citizenship.

Also, is the better times or days to go? Is there usually a wait? How long should I expect?

Thanks guys.
By hayes1966
Birth cert and passport will be asked for. There is a form that they make you fill out but I don't recall the info requested. Normally very quick in and out process. Bring your check book as they don't take cash.
By Jason
Pretty sure I brought money orders.

There were more people in line for other permits than pistol and the line was huge, but the gents at the booth moved them through as fast as they could.

If I had to do it over, I'd try to be there right when they opened.
By ElMar
What time did you go?
By Jason
Well... the first time I went about 5 minutes after they closed and they wouldn't let me in.

I think the second time would have been either late morning or early afternoon but do not recall for sure.
By ElMar
I'm gonna try this week around 10:30, have some free time in the schedule.

Wish me luck. LOL 8)
By Wingedsig
I went about a month ago, about the same time, one person finishing up in line before me. Handed my local permit in, was given a card to fill out, took about :03 to do. They took my digital photo, wrote the check, and was out the door and on my way in under :10 total time. Piece of cake for me.
By ElMar
Went today just before lunch, had 6 people in front of me and it still only took about 25 min.
By AGust82
Congratulations.What are you buying first?
By sjcolwell2
yeah, what are you gonna pick up ... make sure you shop around for the best price.
By ElMar
Not sure yet, like the Kimber Ultra Carry but not impressed with their reputation.

Any suggestions?
By AGust82
For being easy to shoot and easing into carrying, I'd suggest a Glock. Or an M&P or XD. All very similar. Kimbers are very nice, but they cost.
By jamesb
ElMar wrote:Not sure yet, like the Kimber Ultra Carry but not impressed with their reputation.

Any suggestions?
Glock, S&W revolver, SIG, Springfield XD, etc.

I had a Kimber Pro Carry II and had too many issues with it not feeding HPs and even FMJ. Tried bunch of different mags as well to no avail. I decided to get rid of it since I couldn't trust my life to it. I want another 1911, but just not a Kimber. That was my experience. There are a lot of others that really like them though.

I may eventually try another one out, but I haven't decided yet. I like the looks of them a lot. If mine ran well I woud have been very happy with it.

I've since moved on to carrying a SIG 239 or a Glock 30/36 and am much happier.

Get something that you find comfortable and like otherwise you may not carry it much.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!