Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By sane_shooter
New to the forum and I've got a couple of newbie questions.

I know that any pistol made before 1899 doesn't require all the normal permits a regular newer pistol requires.

My question is, is it legal to purchase a replica 1860 colt from a store like Bass Pro Shops over the counter without the usual checks and permit requirements or does a new replica pistol fall under new gun laws and requirements?

The second part to that question is if I have it rebarelled and converted to accept .44 caliper bullets does it still fall under the 1899 pistol laws or is it considered a new gun and fall under post 1899 gun requirements?

Thanks in advance.
By hayes1966
No permit required for black powder firearms.
By GreggAndrews
Sane_shooter: There is absolutely no legal criteria to own a BP firearm. I personally purchased an 1851 Navy and an 1858 Remington from Cabela's without so much as them looking at my I.D.

NOW. On the other hand... if you manage to convert it to fire cartridges, then it becomes a "modern" handgun. You cannot sell it, and you must have a permit if you intend to take it off of your property.

I'm not even sure if you'd be in the wrong for converting it without the permit... (but the consensus is that you may very well be).
By sane_shooter
That was my bigger concern, how the legality would change if I get it converted to fire cartridges.

And what about true antiques that were made prior to 1899, if you converted them to fire cartridges how does the law change?

Questions worth pondering so we don't get ourselves into trouble.
By hayes1966
Q: Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]
By JohnFH
If you convert it, it loses it's antique status, just like altering a C&R gun.

not illegal, just changes the laws it falls under.
By GreggAndrews
hayes, from what I understand of it, the GCA allows you to create a handgun/longarm/etc (non NFA) without any special provision, as LONG as it complies with state and federal laws. Otherwise, you can build it, and you can own it... but you can NEVER sell or transfer it (the only way it can be transferred is through inheritance upon your death).

The law is a little confusing in CT though. As my question had been answered previously, the legality of actually possessing a converted handgun without a pistol permit/age requirement remains to be to be known, although would generally be accepted as illegal.

Even my cousin-in-law, an ex-CSP instructor... has a hard time with this one. I picked her brain over on the subject, and her thoughts on it are that you if you meet the requirements to own one, you can convert it. Whether a permit is required to just possess it (not purchase), or not still remains a bit baffling... to even some of the professionals.

If you have your pistol permit, feel free to convert it. Although the 1860 Army isn't the best candidate for a .45LC conversion, just for the fact that they're inherently weak. Once you mill down the area for the loading gate, the frame will start to crack around the arbor. If you really have a hankering for a conversion, try out an 1858 Remington.
By sane_shooter
Thanks guys,

I appreciate all the input and I think, if I understand all of you correctly - I can purchase a replica or antique pistol without a permit and I may even be able to convert it into a cartridge shooting configuration - but if I do, I'll never be able to sell or transport it over state lines, and once it’s converted I may or may not need a permit for it.

I currently don’t have a permit but I do own a shot gun legally and I go to an inside range that allows shotguns. I would use the pistol for the same purposes, the range only. But I don’t feel like spending 15 years behind bars because I got picked up driving to the range with an antique gun that can shoot cartridges that I don’t have a permit for.

The “not ever being able to sell it” part doesn’t bother me because I’m not into buying and selling. I pretty much keep everything I buy forever as long as it’s still working.

Sounds like I need a definitive answer on the conversion/permit part, and I will look into the 1858 Remington for the conversion.

Are there any legal documents I could research that I don’t need a law degree in order to understand or a gun shop somewhere in CT that would have the definitive answer on this topic?

Thanks’ for all the help guys…….
By GreggAndrews
sane: That's the problem... even the ones making the laws don't know! And then they leave it up to the ones that are supposed to enforce, to interpret said laws... like my cousin Deb, (the former State Police instructor)... freakin' knows everything, but even with something like this she's iffy. It's one of those things where it's more of an example of botched legislation, than an actual, strictly enforceable, clear-cut law.

The DPS doesn't know what it's doing half of the time. Hell, any of the stateys I've ever talked to have said the same thing.

My thoughts on converting the gun without a pistol permit:

Keep it on your own property, and keep your mouth shut. 99.99% of the time, the cops aren't going to care (unless you're doing something really, abysmally stupid). It's not like you otherwise *illegally* purchased a handgun without having the permit. Just keep your mouth shut if you do, and for the love of God, don't ever take it off of your property.
By sane_shooter
Sound advice...........

Thanks bro.....
By GreggAndrews
I try, LOL.

And you're entirely welcome.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]