Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By sjcolwell2
You should always carry chambered, too much time is wasted chambering a round when seconds count
By nvisn
There are other ways to carry?
By bizkitjmd1
Always loaded and racked in holster, occasionally extra mags on belt
By snakeeater332
As so eloquently stated by SFC Norm "Hoot" Hooten, Delta operator (played by Eric Bana) in Blackhawk Down, in the following dialogue

CPT Steele (Ranger): [points to Hoot's slung M4] Delta or no Delta, that's a hot weapon. You know better than that. Your safety should be on at all times on base.

"Hoot": [holding up his index finger] Well, this is my safety, sir.

If you're not carrying with one in the chamber and ready to roll, why bother carrying? If you're not comfortable doing so, then you shouldn't be carrying...go to the range and practice more. Your delay in getting the weapon into action could get you or someone else hurt or killed.
By AGust82
nvisn wrote:There are other ways to carry?
Agreed. If you can diffuse a situation by simply drawing a weapon then thank your lucky stars. It is almost never that easy though. You need to carry a gun ready to use it.
By ketel1
Always carry with one in the chamber here.
By CTSixshot
This was the text of an e-mail that was forwarded to me....sorry, I can't add the pictures, but the text gives you the details. It's something to be aware of especially with a striker-fired weapon. With a hammer-fired weapon, you can always thumb the hammer to detect any unintended movement while holstering.

“What the hell was that?!?” she said. It took me a half a second to realize that my gun had just gone off…on my hip…in its holster. My wife and I had just finished breakfast at our favorite café and got into the car.
Me being the passenger, I rotated my torso to the left to fasten my seatbelt like I always do. When I straightened again, my Glock 19 discharged, blowing a 9mm hole through my pants, underwear, the leather seat and bottom of the car’s door frame.
The bullet nicked my hip, but the wound is nothing a bandage couldn’t cover. So what went wrong? Guns never go “Bang” all by themselves.
After ensuring I wasn’t hemorrhaging profusely and didn’t have to make a dash for the hospital, I stayed seated in the car as my wife came around to my door and opened it. I undid my belt and slid the Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster, with the gun still in it, off my belt. Why it went off was immediately apparent.

Blame the holster, not the glock. Guns don’t kill cars, holsters kill cars!

The gun went off because the poorly designed and/or maintained holster depressed the trigger. It was not the GLOCK's fault it was the holster's fault. When I attended GLOCK School and even the SIG ACADEMY they cautioned against any holster which did not have a RIGID opening. Any holster where you have to coax the pistol into it is N/G. that's why plastic KYDEX-type holsters are a great.
and.....If there is anybody out there thinking the Glock pistol is at fault. Take a look at the crappy holster this guy is using. that holster probably cost $19.95...
By Sebring_Pop
A gun with a empty chamber is a unloaded gun to me. A unloaded gun is nothing more that a ugly club.
By 67malibu
When I had my Kahr PM9 I never had it chambered when I carried it. why ? at the time I was worried about a accidental discharge and the pm9"s at the time did not come with an external saftey.. I know the operator is the best safety and a good holster helps. but I coould not get past the fact that I wanted a EXTRA safety.

I sold the pm9 and Bought the S&W M&P9C with the external safety. I feel much better now and I do carry chambered all the time. I"m still the main saftey I understand. but having an external safety is better "for me".. and it is so simple to switch the safety off as I draw.. been practicing that a lot.
By GreggAndrews
I'm going to jump in here...

If you're carrying a gun, you're carrying it because it's an "OH HOLY CRAP HE IS GOING TO KILL ME RIGHT NOW" piece. There's no extra time to screw around.

If I carried, it would be at the ready, at all times. No time for a fumble when you're counting on tenths of a second to save your life.
By sjcolwell2
GreggAndrews wrote:I'm going to jump in here...

If you're carrying a gun, you're carrying it because it's an "OH HOLY CRAP HE IS GOING TO KILL ME RIGHT NOW" piece. There's no extra time to screw around.

If I carried, it would be at the ready, at all times. No time for a fumble when you're counting on tenths of a second to save your life.
Well put !!! Carring un-chambered is pointless. I know some people who carry chambered sometimes but not others. Personally I think that could get confusing in a situation when you need your firearm and can't remember if its chambered or not.
By GreggAndrews
My point is being, that people who carry unchambered don't realize just how quickly things can really happen.

There aren't the movie "talk-down-at-gunpoint" scenarios. When you draw a gun, and point it at someone, it better be to pull the trigger right then & there. The time for talking, negotiating, arguing, is over, and a life is likely to be taken; whether it is yours, or theirs.

I personally do not carry... I can't. But I find it akin to driving with a coffee in one hand, and a cigarette in the other.

:lol:
By YeOldeFool
Hell Yes!!
Always have a round in the chamber. When someone jumps out of an ally or doorway with a weapon, what are you going to do, say “Excuse me kind sir, could you wait until I chamber a round”.
Also, under the tension of the moment what if you don’t Rack the Slide far enough to load the round, then what? It is not a matter of seconds it a matter of NOW!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!