Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By Jason
I know this has been discussed at great length all over the internet... but I like talking about pistols so I want to discuss it again!

I'm looking picking up a 1911 and want to get something decent. I can justify up to about $1200 on it but am happy spending less if there's a better "bang for the buck" item. I'm also happy doing simple & safe modifications over time.

I would want to either buy new or from a place that will give a solid guarantee on used product.

The weapon would be used for target shooting and may be an occasional carry if I am dressed such that it wouldn't print.

I'm also interested in swapping over to the 1911 platform (and using a P238 or Mustang for a CCW pistol).

My only other firearms are a P229 and a Ruger Mk III if that matters.

I'm not brand specific but have a mild aversion to Para and a very high regard for SIG stuff.

Any thoughts? Interested in any/all opinions.
By JohnFH
Springfield Armory Range Officer

I am super happy with my GI model, customer service has been awsome with my questions, and getting me upgrade parts as I want them.

Thats what my next purchased 1911 will be.
By hayes1966
I have a Kimber Custom Target II and am very happy with that.
By 32bttln
Take a look at Springfield Champion Operator. Awesome and good for range and carry.
By JohnFH
Mr Hayes has lots of money too :D
By JohnB
just picked up a springfield LW operator..pretty damn awesome :)
By hayes1966
JohnFH wrote:
Mr Hayes has lots of money too :D
No, JohnB is the guy with money, I bought the Kimber several years ago when you could afford them.
By sjcolwell2
I have a Springfield Armory Champion w/4" barrel and I love it. You can pick them up new for like 575. Springfield's customer service is second to none. The range officer is good to but much than the Champion. Also look at remington's R1, its supposed to be priced well. If your looking for cheap but decent American Classic makes a goverment model,made in the philipines for like 400 bucks i hear they are good.
By MYREDTAIL
Last year I bought a NIB S & W 1911 in Blue at my local dealer for $830.00 with tax & all, I am very pleased with this gun.
By magneton44
Just buy a COLT and be done with it.....
By blueshirt23
The Dan Wesson line of 1911s are pretty nicely made.
Chris
By Drew
Well here's my jaded opinion(s) Does it have to be a new weapon? There are used deals out there. Used is a good path if you plan on doing a lot of customizing and tweaking.

I agree with the others on the Springfields,Kimbers,S&W's,Colts and such. I will also toss Para Ordnance (Para USA) into the mix. I have aquired a few and to me they are a great value for what you get in details and performance. I know some guys slam them but hey it's the internet. I can only speak of what I own

Now here's the thing with your price point. At $1200 you are so stinking close to the next tier of more refined 1911's from Kimber that you really should think about saving for a bit longer and really treating yourself. jmho

By Jason
Wow, thread resurrection.

I ended up buying a SIG TacOps when Hoffman had them for $800 or so. Kind of hate the name, but it's a great gun. Out of the box (after first clean/lube), I shot it as well as my 229 that I've put many many rounds through.

As far as treating myself... I did. Got back into motorcycling and picked up a new R1200RT last week. Think I'm done buying stuff for a little bit.

Now if I could just find a good motorcycle jacket with an internal holster I'd be all set.
By Drew
Thats the spirit! Treating yourself and stimulating the economy at the same time.
By padre
I still use my 1951 Colt Government
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!