Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
So I've always slept with my gun in easy reach. I don't want to lock it up, because of an incident wherein several of my neighbors woke to find an apparently very quite burglar in their bedrooms. They pretended to sleep. Good idea, but not something I want to bank on, ever. I don't think he would have waited for me to go to the safe, and I feel better having it at my side. But it's clearly accessible. That's the point.

But now I have a baby boy in the house. I want something that will keep my weapon close to me while I sleep, offer a decent degree of safety (as it will be in the safe when I am not around) but will allow me to get at it quickly. As I said, I'll be right there when it is in this position, and when I am not it will be secure in the safe. I just don't want my boy to be able to grab at it. Granted, he's 7months old and I'm not too worried about it at the moment. But I feel it's something I should think about since my nightstand is not exactly secure.

Any ideas?
By JohnFH
Teach him gun safety. You can teach him the stove is hot, not to touch and you don't lock up the stove, you can do the same with guns.
By SR9
Well.....there are a lot of ways to go with this.

You could keep it in your night stand just in the over night and put it in your safe in the morning. Ok until he starts walking about, not for a couple of years.

There are bio activated lock boxes you can keep on your night stand that only open to your finger prints or key.

Could put a trigger lock on it, just make sure it is easy and quick to remove.

My kids are grown and out of the house so no worries there. I also have a 3 large dogs that rouse at a pin drop as an early warning system. Bedrooms are on the second floor. That said I keep my pistol with 2 full mags in my night stand with a trigger lock that can be removed in seconds. During practice I had the lock off and chambered a round in less than 10 seconds.

I have practiced getting into action in the middle of the night and the system works for me.

Try different methods to see what works for you.

By the way, I hope you keep all bedroom doors closed at night for fire safety.
By SigFan
Absolutely plan to teach him when he's old enough. As for trigger locks, and recommendations? I've always been dead set against them thinking that they would be a major impediment.
By hayes1966
Avoid the ones that you insert into the barrel and cable types where they go through the action. The best ones are the ones are similar to these

By SR9
hayes1966 wrote:Avoid the ones that you insert into the barrel and cable types where they go through the action. The best ones are the ones are similar to these

That is the type I have and it comes off in seconds. You can take it off before going to bed and put it back when you get up.
By SigFan
SR9 wrote: You can take it off before going to bed and put it back when you get up.
Like underwear! On the days I choose to wear underwear, that is...

Thanks for the advice. During the day it's in the safe, I'm more worried about a curious kid digging while I sleep or me forgetting to put it away in the morning. I'm thinking a combo trigger lock may be best (I'll lose the key, or at least not be able to find it when I need it). Thanks for the advice.
By sjcolwell2
MY KIDS KNOW GUN SAFETY. MY GUN STAYS IN IT HOLSTER ON MY SIDE UNTIL WE GO TO BED, THEN IT GOES IN A SHELF/ COAT RACK/ GUN SAFE, THAT I MADE, RIGHT NEXT TO MY SHOT GUN. DURING THE DAY THE SHELF IS LOCKED.
By 67malibu
I have both the combo lock and key. the combo is definitely better when the lights are on. at night I keep my combo 1 click away so all i have to do is roll it back and the lock is off.

I have 3 boys 15,12,11 , they all know what happens when the trigger is pulled. I have brought each of them to the range to show them safely what the gun is and what it does. takes the curiosity away i think.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!