Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By dgallag339
So I ended up getting a new Ruger Mark III I read all the post with issues as far as taking it apart and putting it together, I watched the videos and before taking it to the range I took it apart and was able to get it back together, frustrating yes but was able to get it back together. Went to the range Friday night the 1st 2 mags had a slight problem with one of the mags feeding the rounds up but after the 1st two the pistol worked like a champ and was pretty accurate and I was very pleased. So today I decide let me take it down and clean it, here is the problem, getting it back together was difficult and the pistol is back together BUT the bolt only retracts about halfway and when I try to take it apart I cannot get the main spring house to pivot out AGAIN the pistol is completely assembled but the bolt will only retract about halfway and I cannot get that main spring housing to pivot out and I am stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions???
By JohnFH
Put a magazine in and see if you can release the trigger, the problem is the hammer strut is in the wrong place.

I can fix it if you get really stuck
By dgallag339
JohnFH wrote:Put a magazine in and see if you can release the trigger, the problem is the hammer strut is in the wrong place.

I can fix it if you get really stuck
I put the mag in and the trigger does move but no distinguishable (?) click and like I said I can flip that 1st piece of the main spring housing out but then the rest will not pivot all of the way out just a little, man this pistol is frustrating.

:x :x :x :x
By JohnFH
you might need to hold the trigger down while trying to move other things
By PaiN
As I was reading the OP I was thinking "hammer strut"...have to agree with your 1st statement John....definitely sounds like the hammer strut is out of position(which is a common problem for people new to these Rugers)
By Jason
I had this problem too at first.

You need to pull the mainspring back out and move the hammer strut, as JohnFH mentions. With the mainspring out, look inside that housing, there's a small metal tab that is in the wrong position.

The act of taking out the mainspring piece will likely move the tab, so you may not see it in the "bad" position. What I eventually started doing is reassembling that last part with the pistol pointed straight up.

Let me know if you're still stuck and I'll see if I can find the YouTube vid that helped me with it.
By dgallag339
Jason wrote:I had this problem too at first.

You need to pull the mainspring back out and move the hammer strut, as JohnFH mentions. With the mainspring out, look inside that housing, there's a small metal tab that is in the wrong position.

The act of taking out the mainspring piece will likely move the tab, so you may not see it in the "bad" position. What I eventually started doing is reassembling that last part with the pistol pointed straight up.

Let me know if you're still stuck and I'll see if I can find the YouTube vid that helped me with it.
I have viewed several very helpful videos and actually got it apart and back together once but here is my dilemma now, the pistol is completely back together. The 1st step is to pivot this small pointy piece out from the main spring housing which is supposed to allow you to now pivot the entire main spring housing piece out of the backstarp and that is what I cannot do it seems to be stuck???
By JohnFH
Magazine has to be in to release the trigger, out to remove the main spring housing
By dgallag339
For what it's worth I was able to get it apart, like I said the main spring housing would not pivot out, I was able to pivot the small pointy piece out (in the Ruger video they show hooking it with a paperclip) but that was it the MSH would not pivot the rest of the way out. Another user on another forum suggested a slight tap with a plastic/rubber hammer which I did and it worked. Thanks.
By Jason
Yeah, I picked up small rubber mallet specifically for the ruger. When I first would shoot, it was very difficult to get the mainspring out and in - the pin that goes up through the barrel assembly was too tight of a fit. It also was extremely difficult to get the barrel assembly off of the receiver.

After a number of trips to the range, the whole thing loosened up.

Interestingly, it's performance is still flawless and when assembled it doesn't feel any less solid. Once you flip down the mainspring release, the whole thing pops apart quickly, though.

It really did improve with age :)
By PaiN
Jason wrote:Yeah, I picked up small rubber mallet specifically for the ruger.

I have one too...bought for the same reason. Ruger should think about including one as "standard equipment" ;)
By dgallag339
Jason wrote:Yeah, I picked up small rubber mallet specifically for the ruger. When I first would shoot, it was very difficult to get the mainspring out and in - the pin that goes up through the barrel assembly was too tight of a fit. It also was extremely difficult to get the barrel assembly off of the receiver.

After a number of trips to the range, the whole thing loosened up.

Interestingly, it's performance is still flawless and when assembled it doesn't feel any less solid. Once you flip down the mainspring release, the whole thing pops apart quickly, though.

It really did improve with age :)
Haha funny thing is I bought the plastic/rubber hammer before I even attempted the disassembly after viewing a few videos and they said you may need it to either push the pin (using a dowel) down through the receiver or to hit the back of the barrel to dislodge it from the frame and I didn't need it for either one of those tasks. But anyway it is back together and I was quite impressed with the pistols performance. The next question is how difficult are some of these upgrades I hear/read about, Volq. bushing, trigger pack???
By JohnFH
Not to sound insulting, but if your having issues with assembly/disassembly, I would find some one experienced to install those parts.
By dgallag339
[quote="JohnFH"]Not to sound insulting, but if your having issues with assembly/disassembly, I would find some one experienced to install those parts.[/

Good thing you weren't trying to sound
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!