Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By nvisn

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Calibers: .22LR
Weight unloaded: 2.8lbs 1.3kg
Length: 18.5" 469.9mm
Barrel length: 10.1" 256.5mm
Sight radius: 12.5" 317.5mm
Twist: 1:16"
Capacity: 26 rounds, Atchison compatible
Trigger pull: 5.5-7.5 lbs 24.4-33.4N

First Impressions

I just got home from the range with this new toy and I have ZERO reservations in saying- This is the most fun I have ever had with a firearm! When I picked this up from my FFL/gunsmith I noticed just how badass this weapon looks. I looked at the magazine and noticed that its layout and dimensions were identical to the .22LR mags I already owned for my CMMG AR Conversion kit. I brought her home and loaded rounds successfully with the CMMG mags. Life is good. The sights on her are adjustable with a removable blade in the back and an "AR" style post sight in the front. The PLR also has a rail mount on top of the gun to attach optics to it. I have an inexpensive red dot sight coming soon for it. The PLR also has a fore grip available but I have been advised not to add this as it could be considered a shroud thereby turning it into an "assault weapon". I have opted for a barrel clamp with 3 rails for her to add on an LED light and laser sighting system on.

Reliability

In my experience .22 autoloading pistols have been finicky at best. This is not one of those guns. I started off with CCI MiniMags as I would normally do with a .22LR pistol and ran off a magazine with no problems. I then switched to the Federal 550 bulk pack and proceeded to run off 75 rounds between 3 magazines as fast as I could pull the trigger without any hint of failures. I was awestruck at the reliability of this pistol right out of the box with no break in period. I then ran off about 3/4 of a brick through her with no issues. She went bang on every SINGLE trigger pull.

Ergonomics

At almost 3lbs unloaded with all the weight in the barrel this isn't a pistol I would want to hold pointing down range all day with a traditional pistol grip/stance. It get a little bit front heavy. I found holding it with an "assault" style stance with a hand on the pistol grip and a hand on the mag well worked great and was much more comfortable.

Accuracy

I got great groups with this pistol, even with a steady shot transmission of about 2 rounds per second. I consistently got groups of better then 2" at 50'. I did a magazine dump of 25 rounds and got 22 of them in the center mass (2"circle) of a "blue man" target at 20'. I think the weight of the pistol combined with the 10" barrel really shines here. I can't wait to take her to a silhouette match.
Last edited by nvisn on Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaiN
Not my style, but definitely cool

It kind of looks like the naked version of the SU-16 I used to have :lol:
By JohnB
good review and great looking toy !! but lemme ask you this..where dya shoot the silhouette match's ? i've been itching to try one with my .22 contender
By CTSixshot
JohnB wrote:good review and great looking toy !! but lemme ask you this..where dya shoot the silhouette match's ? i've been itching to try one with my .22 contender
JohnB:
Regarding silhouette matches, you can do this at Quaker Hill and Northwestern (Rt 44 Colebrook). Centerfire requires cast bullets, as a rule.
Maybe even Rockville F&G, but you'll have to inquire about that.
By JohnB
regular match's or a once a year thing ?
By nvisn
The ones I have been a part of are at WLOPA (Wolcott Land Owners Protective Association). I don't think you can do them unless you are a member or a guest of one.
By CTSixshot
JohnB: Check their respective schedules, but they do several a year, I believe. You can shoot as a guest at either club to my knowledge (I've shot at all three venues as a non-member, so they are usually public events). Of course, for pistol silhouette matches, you may only have one or two a year at best; they tend to do rifle more often.
By mikeyama
how much did that run (if you don't mind me asking) and would your FFL/gunsmith do that for mere mortals like myself?
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!