Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By PaiN
Can't quite make the decision...so what to do? Go to my buds on CT Shooting and get a few more opinions :roll:
:)
I'm looking for a pistol for general range use and plates, having reliable function and good accuracy with a price between $250 - $350.
The Walther P22 is too small for me and I had a bad experience with the S&W 22A..so they are out.
Here's the my pro's and con's on what I am interested in:
-Ruger Mk(all)...Not the greatest feel in my hand, too hard to take down. Its a Ruger..will last forever, likely to be reliable
-ISSC M22...Questionable function, reports of light strikes and FTF. Its inexpensive and has a good feel too me.
-Sig Mosquito...Ammo picky, not known for accuracy and expensive. Good ergos and looks.
-Beretta NEOS...Thin, raked grip, ugly as hell. Inexpensive, accurate and reliable.
-Buckmark UDX...What can I say, this has it all....but it's the top dollar pistol

There is one other option I've been considering....Getting a Sig Sauer P220 .22 Classic with the .45 conversion. I'd have to sell my Glock 30 to finance this move....so its a VERY tough way to go for me.
By JohnB
personally id go with the ruger, theres a reason why they have been making this gun in all kinds of different models for the past 60 years, look for a used slab side stainless, kickass
By AGust82
Selling a G30? That's like punting on 1st down...just crazy. I vote for the MarkIII. Accuracy is just as good as any and it can be made to fit your liking very easily with a vast aftermarket.
By Jason
I really dig my Mk III. I'm a gold member at hoffman's and have tried quite a number of the pistols on their rental section and not a single one is in the same league on trigger or accuracy as that Ruger.

The takedown was a bear before the gun had been fired, but after a couple of trips to the range it loosened up enough that it's just not an issue. I must have 1500 rounds through it by now and not a single issue of any type what-so-ever. Usually do 100-200 per trip.

It IS more work to clean than any glock/sig, etc, but it's really not that big of a deal. Check out some of the Youtube vids. There's a number where they strip and reassemble it in minutes.

Regarding the fit for hand, might want to try the 22/45 to see if the angle feels better.

The only other one on your list I've spent time with was a Mosquito. It only (heh) jammed a few times on a box of 100, but it just felt ... meh. I really like other sigs, I've used a P229 a decent amount. The Mosquito is like a cheap knock off of Sig fit/finish.

You could also look at a 1911 style .22, but other than your brief stint with the Para, I don't think you've been a huge 1911 fan.
By PaiN
One of my first pistols was a 22/45....I never dug the feel of its grip and back then there wasn't t fix for it(like the nice 1911 panels SR9 has on his...). On that note, I do like the MkIII a little better and look at the deal Hoff's just posted up

http://www.hoffgun.com/specials.htm
By PaiN
AGust82 wrote:Selling a G30? ...just crazy.
I'm not real keen on the idea either....The Sig P220 idea only came up out of desperation anyway....
By SR9
My 22/45 is pretty good and I like it a lot but if I had to do it again I would go for a used MKII or a new MKIII. Lots more options for those models.

As for the cleaning, ya just get used to it. I clean mine before leagues start and at mid season and that is all it asks for.

I doubt one could go wrong with a Ruger MK.

Mine has served me well as a newbie 22 bulls eye gun. After a year in leagues the hardware is still better than I am. All I have done to it is add an ultra-dot red dot, some basic trigger work and Tech Teach grips. Now if I could only get some trigger work done to my trigger finger!

The only real negatives I have found with my MKIII 22/45 is that mine does not like subsonic loads. With subsonic rounds the bolt seems to come back ok but the round jams against the feed ramp. I tried every mod I could find to no avail. The answer is use CCI standard or Mini Mags or your favorite standard or hi vel ammo. I am sure if I played with it more I could get it to cycle the sub sonic loads but it was not that important to me.
By JohnB
i guess it depends on the gun, mine will cycle aquila subsonics fine
By JohnFH
my MK III will cycle pretty much anything, but only the cheap American Eagle 1300fps stuff is actually accurate out of the gun.
By SR9
JohnFH wrote:my MK III will cycle pretty much anything, but only the cheap American Eagle 1300fps stuff is actually accurate out of the gun.
Interesting, I tried many brands and I get the best groups with CCI Mini Mags. Not sure I tried those, have to look into it.
By PaiN
I decided on getting a GSG 1911 Wood as my .22lr pistol. These are high quality guns and have had excellent write-ups since they became available.
I even managed to find the elusive "extra mags" for these pistols......both ordered and on the way :D

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php ... 99&lang=en

The half crazy part of me spoke up right away and said; "sell the G30 and get a .45 1911 to go with the GSG". Crazy has very strong mojo and usually wins.....So if you have a 1911 you'd like to trade for a Glock 30 w/ NS let me know ASAP before it gets posted.
By PaiN
Well...the GSG is at Jo-Jo's but I wasn't able to pick it up yesterday. :(
I'm hoping to get over there tonight. I did receive the extra mag Monday....I have to say it is one of the beefiest .22 magazines I ever handled, if it is any indication of how the gun is built, I'm going to very happy with it.
By Jason
I'll tell ya what...

If you're schedule is still too busy, just call in your payment info and I'll be happy to go pick the gun up for you. I'll even break it in at the range for a while!
By PaiN
Ahhh.. thanks Jason but I forced myself to go the shop and pick it up ;)
The GSG 1911 is an impressive .22lr pistol. It feels exactly like a full size 1911, a hair lighter but weighed the same. It is very solid and well constructed. Fit and finish is nice, time will tell how tough it is. Sights are adjustable yellow 3 dot. The trigger is sweet :) crisp & light.
Got to get out and shoot it.

Last edited by PaiN on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!