Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
Monday the 5th I went up to Hoffman's with the intent to buy a Springfield GI 1911 to build up as a project gun. I drove all the way up and filled out all the paperwork to find out that DPS was closed and for some reason I failed the computer transfer authorization. This was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I handled the Springfield GI and it was "OK". The finish on them was pretty crude. I mean I was buying a $500 1911 not a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer right? I went home and started a Facebook chat with a friend of mine who had just gotten his Para GI Expert 1911 and was in love with it, and this is a true gun guy. I looked for it and found it for $485 on Bud's Gun Shop. I pulled the trigger and ordered it.

When I went to pick up the 1911 from my FFL he had opened the weapon and looked at the receipt and thought there was a pricing error on Bud's end. I showed him the price there and other sights that had the gun for less than $600 and he was amazed at the quality versus price. The finish on the gun was rich and smooth. It has a beautifully polished barrel and a skeletonized trigger and hammer. It also has a beveled mag well. All goodies you find on much more expensive pistols. I took her home, stripped and cleaned her and put her away for this morning.

I took her to the range today and fired all sorts of FMJ 220gr loads from Winchester, Federal, and Remington Green Box, and Remington UMC with no hint of a failure. I then fired 40 rounds of Winchester PDX1 Supreme Elite (my carry round of choice) and again no hiccups. When all was said and done I put 640 rounds through her in a single afternoon with no cleaning or lube besides what I did the night I took her home. I have to say I love everything about this gun except for the trigger which is plastic and a little rough on the finger but I am upgrading it to an Ed Brown Match trigger. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.

By PaiN
I scratched my 1911 itch last year with Para GI Expert, damn fine weapon, and a genuine bargain..I paid $519+tax at Hoff's
By DRU
Thanks for the range report. I might be getting a 1911 itch, which was brought on by my first and very recently acquired kimber pro carry (haven't even shot it yet) and your pics and write up!

:twisted:
By PLO231
PaiN wrote:I scratched my 1911 itch last year with Para GI Expert, damn fine weapon, and a genuine bargain..I paid $519+tax at Hoff's
PaiN, I took that itch off your hands. I still have it, but don't shoot it as much as my other .40 or 9mm weapons.

The Para GI Expert really is great value for a solid 1911.
By PaiN
PLO231 wrote:PaiN, I took that itch off your hands. I still have it, but don't shoot it as much as my other .40 or 9mm weapons.
Hey...if you get tired of NOT shooting it...give me a shout...you never know :wink: , I've got my mind on a .45 1911 to go with the GSG .22lr
By PLO231
PaiN wrote:
PLO231 wrote:PaiN, I took that itch off your hands. I still have it, but don't shoot it as much as my other .40 or 9mm weapons.
Hey...if you get tired of NOT shooting it...give me a shout...you never know :wink: , I've got my mind on a .45 1911 to go with the GSG .22lr
You've for the right of first refusal :D
By PaiN
PLO I sent you a PM
By PaiN
There's a new Para GI Expert about to come out the "ESP"
GI Expert ESP
At PARA we listen to you. You asked for custom extras on the GI Expert. You
wanted a beavertail grip safety with speed bump, a lightweight match trigger
with adjustable overtravel and our innovative fiber optic front sight.
You get
all of these extra special options at a production price. The PARA tradition of
giving you a BIG GUN…SMALL PRICE continues in 2010.
Product Code: GI45ESP
http://www.paraord.com/new/downloads/catalog2010.pdf
By sjcolwell2
HEARD THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE & QUALITY CONTROL WAS GARBAGE. I HAVE A SPRINGFIELD CHAMPION AND LOVE IT. I WAS TALKED OUTTA BUYING THE PARA.
By MYREDTAIL
I was talked out of buying one also after reading a lot of negative review's on the 1911 forum's etc. I went for a new S & W 1911 in blue & I am glad that I did, I am very happy with the S & W 1911. 8)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!