Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.

Should one have to take a NRA safety course for a CCW and never beable to touch and or fire a hand gun, untill they have passed and recieved there CCW?

Yes
27%
No
64%
No opinion
9%
By Socom
What do you think ? This is a seven day poll. Please leave a comment, I'm sure there could be a lot of "OPINIONS" out there... 8O
By Socom
As do I, SR9... But, I just found out, that in order to get a CCW, one must pass the NRA safety course, But may Not handle or fire a handgun untill they pass all background checks and the safety course! And must recieve there CCW...
By CTSixshot
Maybe I'm adding more into the poll, but young shooters wouldn't be able to shoot events until they are of legal permit age. Many in the military would not be able to carry a sidearm either.
It would be pretty hard to introduce non-shooters to handguns at the local ranges, too.
By JohnFH
But may Not handle or fire a handgun untill they pass all background checks and the safety course!
Ummm according to who? I can take any one I want (with the possible exception of convicted felons) to a public or private range and let them shoot my handguns or rifles with my supervision.

Also the "NRA" course is not the only approved training, it is just the most popular. CT requires 10 hours of approved training, doesn't have to be NRA.

I'll add one more little bit of info, the state also requires that live fire be a part of the training, so in order to obtain a permit, you would have already handled and fired a handgun, without a permit. There is also no backround check required to take the safety course, only when you actually apply for the Carry Permit (CT permits do not say "concealed" on them).
By Socom
Man, Did I open a can of worms here ? "I am in "TOTAL" agreement with every word that SR9, CT6 and JohnFH has said .... I don't know if I should explain a little more at this time or not. I'll wait a little longer... P.S. I voted "yes" to the poll, For personal reasons. Explain later... If anyone is still talking to me by then.
By equality72521
I can't respond because your question is too broad in the context of current CT State Statutes.
CT does not have a "concealed carry" permit. We have a "carry" permit. CT has never made a legislative distinction between concealed or open carry, beyond specifying that one should carry in a manner that does not incite public distress (concealed).
CT has no laws specifying a level of training regarding carrying a pistol except an 8-hour approved safety course (key word being safety, not competence). I don't believe this is near enough training, however, I don't think the State has any right to mandate extra training either. In fact, I believe the required NRA class is near-useless (Sorry NRA Instructors!). Rather, I believe it is the ethical and moral duty of the owner to seek and obtain the training necessary to assume the mantel of responsibility that carrying a concealed weapon entails - BEFORE they attempt to carry. I took my safety class and got my permit, but I didn't carry for almost a year until I got extra training and was comfortable with that responsibility.
Some states do have competency requirements for their CCW permit application. Nevada makes you demonstrate competence in your chosen weapon platform and your permit lists the weapons you are allowed to carry concealed as a result of that demonstration. So if you show up and demonstrate competence with a .22 handgun, that's all you're allowed to carry. If you're caught carrying your .45, you're hosed. However, this is only for CCW - Nevada is open-carry in most counties. (But I digress)

So:
Do I think you should have training before ever touching a firearm? YES.
Do I think the state should pass a law to that effect? NO.
By Socom
Thank's equality. I do agree with most of what you said, and It is very wise to carry concealed ( I do beleave there is a charge if not ) My books are took old (like me) to look it up. Yes, maybe i should have used the word "Permit" instead of CCW.
By ECervera
I agree with equality72521 that it is personal responsibility to LEARN. This is because most people don't know anything about firearms to begin with. They only know what they see in movies and the idiots actually believe it. Thank you Hollywood. I do believe that people should obtain a CCW in order to carry PERIOD. However, to own/purchase any firearm, I believe a CCW should not be mandatory. The right to own firearms is OUR 2nd amendment right from GOD, NOT form the government. :D
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!