Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By magneton44
Nice Try!! You provide ammo :lol:
No Problem, yeah, I'M thinking the same thing. Get together! It'll happen
By PaiN
let's make a plan...
By magneton44
I have to work both weekend days this week.. I am going in tonite..overnite and I'll check my schedule. I work a full time 40 hr /day job, and P/T Armed Security at a Military Installation. It'll take a little coordination, but I'm sure we'll get together. We're not that far away from each other. I just put in my application to the East Windsor Sportsman's Club. Not too sure how long the process takes.. I'll keep ya in the loop. I'm on here often. Need to battery my digital camera and posyt some pics.

It's all good!!
By PaiN
I have to work this weekend also, but I'm off the next two days. I can have up to two quests at Bell City (in Southington), so just say the word.
JohnB and JohnFN what are your schedules looking like?
By JohnB
i work a regular 40 hr week mon to fri..weekends off, i have a friend whos a member at bell city im sure i can twist his arm to go when we're all ready..hes a member here also
By KenBGlock19
Buddy, if I had known about this forum 2 weeks ago, I would have warned you MAJORLY about anything Kel-tec. They are so hit-or-miss with reliability, etc. that they are just a waste of multiple trips to the gun shop to get issues resolved.

Yes, that have excellent CS. That doesn't help the fact that they turn out a crappy product on the front end. It amazes me that guns come BACK in working order from factory after getting serviced as opposed to straight off the line and into your holster. Why do they need to go back first to shoot well?!? Beats me...

I'd totally recommend a J-Frame or a Ruger SP101 snubby. Taurus is decent, but not the best quality/reliabilty. J-Frames are light and great to carry, but aren't so great after about 100rds at the range. The Ruger SP101 is built like a tank and heavy enough to be comfy at the range.

As for semi-autos...I'd look at a GLOCK 26 or GLOCK 27. Hell, even a GLOCK 30 would be cool if you want a larger caliber. I used to carry a G26 and it was amazing. Argueably my "perfect" gun. For the record, in 1000's of rounds, I've never had a GLOCK jam, fail, break, etc. Dead-nuts reliable and accurate outta the box everytime. Same with J-Frames.

Best of luck with all of that - sorry that you got a lemon. Let us know what you decide!

Ken

PS> I'm glad that they decided to build a new one for you - I hope you are happy. If it works well, you have one of the slimmest 9mm's in the world...SWEET. If only GLOCK would make a single-stack 9mm - I'd buy at least 3-4 of them!
By PaiN
Ken, thanks for nothing .. hehe :lol:

Honestly, everything you said is spot on. I'd pack a Glock26 or M&Pc in a second but they are too damn big for my carry needs. As for my Keltec PF-9, it is not getting another chance, if when I get it back it is not 110% functional and making me feel confident, I'm trading it the next day. My choices would be either a Kahr PM9 or one of the J-frame snubbies.

While I'm at it what. What are your(anyone) opinions on the Charter Arms .38's?
I really like the Undercover Lite Black...Nice looking gun, ain't it?
By hayes1966
JohnB wrote:i work a regular 40 hr week mon to fri..weekends off, i have a friend whos a member at bell city im sure i can twist his arm to go when we're all ready..hes a member here also
you work ... since when?
By hayes1966
Carry choice .. not that I do it a lot

First is a S&W Model 60

Second is a Glock 19

I have a Walther P22 that I might start carrying also.
By KenBGlock19
Pain,

I can definitely sympathize with the GLOCK and M&P being too bulky. The best advice I ever got was to "dress around the gun."

That being said - the Kahr PM9 is supposed to be a great gun - when it is properly broken in. Now, take that with a small grain of salt - I've never carried one...I only am basing that off of what I have heard. It has about a 70% reliability. It either works like a charm, or needs to be sent back for work, too. Again - I'd highly recommend a J-Frame like these other fine folks here use. It just will not fail. That's the beauty of a wheel gun.

Charter Arms makes a decent product. Again - no "real" experience here with one, but I know that the quality isn't anywhere near S&W, etc. They are a cheap alternative to the J-Frams. You get what you pay for sometimes; although that's not always the case.

My best recommendation is this: Find a range that rents guns or some friends that have these models of gun. We can dole out as much advice as anyone cares to read, but in the end, it's YOUR choice. Choosing a gun is a very personal decision. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Feel free to keep asking questions - VERY happy to help!

Ken
By KenBGlock19
The SW Model 60 is a GREAT choice! I wish that I had one.

I personally carry either a GLOCK 19 or a North American Arms .22Mag 1 5/8" revolver (when I cannot carry the G19).
By JohnB
i hated j-frames at first but now i love em :)
short boring post by me !!
By PaiN
KenBGlock19 wrote:My best recommendation is this: Find a range that rents guns or some friends that have these models of gun. We can dole out as much advice as anyone cares to read, but in the end, it's YOUR choice. Choosing a gun is a very personal decision. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Feel free to keep asking questions - VERY happy to help!

Ken
The few friends I have, that shoot recommended Keltec.... :?
By ChrisNCT
My CCW is a Glock 19 "Homeland Defender" model. I love this gun with over 1800 rounds fired in less than 6 months.... :twisted:
By KenBGlock19
Agreed! I carry a G19, too. Love it. Just put 500 rds through it yesterday and it didn't have ONE problem 8)
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!