Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By Ken
never shot a S & W...do you know if Hoffman's rents them? It is about 50 minutes away from me, and I am planning on driving up later this week to check them out and do some shooting.
By randolf
both guns are great,
Sig 226 - shoots better than glock 17 but more expensive like 40% or more expensive.
Glock 17 is cheaper and is alot esier to detail clean , also you can upgrade it easily yourself. with right part changes it performs better than the stock sig226, thats why most of people I know who competes uses glock lines, I rarely see sig226.
also sig226 is alot hevier to carry compared to glock, but sig is so easy to shoot because the handle is contoured to and points straight to the target, and its trigger is more lighter thats why your shooting groups are better on sig.
But then if you Master the glock handling and trigger you will definitely love it.
so maybe I can say if your new and not planning to shoot too much - stay on sig226 its a great gun for new shooter.
but if you plan to go beyond that train on glock.

also try to check on cz75 lines they are great guns to consider and cheaper too, but the parts are not easy to upgrade

I would recommend Hoffman they sell (New) 226 and G17 cheaper than any other store in CT.
By Ken
A friend of mine escaped from the former Czechoslovakia in the mid 70s, and he shot the CZ when he was an army draftee before he escaped...he liked it a lot...
By CTSixshot
Ken:
Chris (203) 453-1570, probably has a M&P rental. Call him to verify before driving anywhere. Maybe even a CZ. I know some of the Team Glock Philippine fellas have CZ's in addition to Glocks. They usually attend the Thursday shoots.
By ketel1
Preacherman1973 wrote:Bethany is another great shop just not always open. Best customer service though.
This it true also. If the sign says open at 11:00 be there at 12:00. They are also not open on Mon.
By Ken
I could not nail down Bethany...their web site appears to be down, and I have heard so many weird things about availability that I think Hoffman's is probably the better choice, since it is a bit of a hike for me...

Who is Chris?
By Malaga2
yea...Smith & Wesson....way better than a Glock or Sig...if you live in Wonderland....
By ECervera
I have no experience with Sig but from what I hear, Sig is a better shooting firearm than Glock. I am a Glock fan though, because it is so easy to change and aquire parts. Not to mention the Glock is less expensive. Besides, after you get used to the Glock, the shooting is pretty good 8)
By Jason
I'm a huge SIG fan... I primarily shoot a P229 elite and absolutely love it. Probably put a thousand rounds through it this summer and have not had a single FTF or FTE, though the Glock would likely give you the same reliability.

There's a decent weight difference between the two, if carrying is a consideration you need to factor that in.

If cost is a serious issue the Glock wins, hands down.

Aftermarket parts are more plentiful for the Glock but there is a good amount available for the P226, which is arguably the most popular in SIG's lineup.

It's been my experience that Glock vs. SIG is not apples to apples... if you find someone who owns both and has put a similar number of rounds through both, they'd probably say the SIG is a better/more accurate shooter, but a lot of those same people would grab the Glock in an emergency.

I went through the same process, spent a few enjoyable weeks doing research then tried both extensively at Hoffman's (Gold membership gives free rentals and is only $399/year right now, though that sale ends very soon). Once I had used both for a while, the SIG won, hands down -- for me.

I have a good amount of respect for both weapons.
By Jason
Uh... whoops -- just noticed this thread is nearly a year old.

I wondered how I missed so much activity in one day!
By Y3V
Don't know about either guns.. But I will second Bethany Firearms for their service and great prices. Also, Chris (the owner) is very knowledgeable and friendly.
And if you check out Bethany Firearms check out The Arms Exchange in Naugatuck too. I had a very good first impression in there and their prices are excellent as well.
By hayes1966
Probably time to revisit anyway ;)
By nyalex98
Correct me if i'm wrong,
With the S/W don't you have to think about the trigger job to get it right?
I hear people modify it right away and S/W holds no liability after that (no lawsuits)
With the Glock you always know what to expect right out of box.
By glocks1986
Hey. Im selling my glock 17..if your interested! Only a few months old! Just want something alittle smaller! PM me if your intersted!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!