Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By Jason
Hello!

I'm about to start the permit process (NRA class tomorrow) and have been poking around at what to purchase once it's all done. Given the time it takes, I have plenty of time to decide but figured I'd bounce my ideas off you.

No intention of CCW any time soon, this is just for range shooting and enjoyment of the device itself.

I live in Middletown so stopped at Field & Stream and spoke with John (very nice guy - spent quite a lot of time helping me despite knowing I was not buying anything). He gave me a lot of info and showed me half a dozen pistols. The only two that really felt "right" in my hands were the Springfield XD-9 and a 1911 custom they happened to have on hand. I liked the P226 as well but figured that probably wasn't a good starter gun.

My initial thinking was that I'd start with the XD and once I was proficient I'd pick up a 1911 for both shooting and as a gun to upgrade/modify. Given the ammo scarcity/cost, I'm now considering getting a .45 1911 and a .22 conversion kit.

Do these conversion kits in any way "hurt" or prematurely age the gun? It seems like a real win/win solution but would love to hear other peoples thoughts, in particular if any of you have done this.
By djmiked
Why not get one of those P226 guns with the .22 kit and they give you a coupon to get the 9mm conversion. Try as many guns as you can before buying if possible. There are several indoor ranges in the state that rent guns.

The 22 kit won't hurt the guns. A lot of people have converted their centerfire handguns to .22LR rimfire to save on the cost of ammo. Everyone (especially new shooters) needs a 22 handgun. It allows you to learn the basics and fundamentals and you can shoot a lot compared to the cost for centerfire.

Either way you go, good luck and happy shooting!
By guinness126
Jason, my hubby and I live in Middletown. If you want, you're more than welcome to try any/all of our guns. We also have a growing selection of rifles.

I used to work with John, he's AWESOME. Mauser (Doberman) loves my daughter/son. FYI - it took my hubby 12 weeks to get his permit back thru Middletown PD. Lt. Liseo is awesome tho.

And welcome, my son, to the dark side. :lol: LOL
By PaiN
I recently bought a SIG 220 SAO in .22lr, its a fantastic shooter and comes with a coupon for a .45ACP conversion kit at $399. No reason why it wouldn't be good for a new shooter and you can grow into it.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!