Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

All hand gun related issues and questions which are not covered in another specialized forum.
By ketel1
Just wondering what you guys are using or recommend using in terms of grease and oil to lube up your pistols. Looking for a good grease for slides. Any recommendations????
By equality72521
By your avatar, I assume you're talking about a Glock? Or something else?
Each weapon has it's own unique regiment, but I use basic Hoppe's Elite for my Glocks. Glocks like to be near bone-dry, so I'd pass on the grease. Now my Sigs on the other hand, I might consider some grease, but usually settle for BreakFree CLP. Sigs like to be wet. Springfields, much the same as a Glock - bone dry, but with an ever so quick blast of Breakfree in the trigger mechanism housing to keep the grip safety lubricated.
You'll probably get as many opinions on products as there are products, so find something that works for your particular weapon.
By PaiN
I use Remmy Dry-Lube on my pistols internals and springs, then lightly(few drops on a Q-tip) coat the rail and barrel contacts with Kleen-bore Formula3
By ketel1
Thanks for the response... And yes I own a glock 23. I am asking this because i normal use just oil. But after giving some thought i think alittle and i mean alittle grease should go where metal siding on metal (ie. slide rails). Is my track of thought wrong?
By PaiN
I have a tube of basic Hoppes #9 Gun Grease. I like it for my CCW PF9 it stays put much better then "oil" on a gun like the PF that doesn't see much use. Be careful, too much and it oozes...I use the Q-tip method again with this stuff, roll the swab at the tip of the tube and lightly apply to the gun.
By equality72521
Well, it really is "To each his own". I have a Glock 23. I am also very good friends with the Certified Glock Armorer for a local PD who maintains all their G22s and G23s - he taught me everything he knows about Glocks. His opinion: BONE DRY. He said what Glock shows in the manual is actually overkill and is targeted at the "casual" shooter. For someone who shoots often and maintains their weapon, drier is better.
He said he's got the same 2oz bottle of Hoppe's gun oil at his armory and it has lasted them 5 years...for ALL their weapons. And they have never had one fail.
His lubrication schedule, as an armorer, is as follows:
  • One drop on barrel, spread with finger.
    One drop on barrel lug.
    One drop on trigger connector.
    One drop on each of the 4 rails. Reassemble and cycle slide to spread.
I personally like to put one extra tiny drop on the slide, forward of the port, above the barrel, spread with finger.
The first thing he does when I see him is dissassemble my weapon and check it for "oil splash" on the slide and ribs me if I used too much.

Again, I don't have anything against grease, so go ahead and use it if you really want, but I'm not sure of the value.
By PaiN
wow equality...for a second there I thought you(or your friend) were going to recommend no lube at all...... 8O
I pretty much do a you describe, except I use a swab instead of a finger and I like dry-lube for the internals because it collects so much less crap.
By ketel1
awsome guys thanks for the input.
By DRU
Do any of you guys use a silicone cloth on your Glocks?

I recently added a G26 to the family and they gave me a free silicone cloth with it..............
By evan1293
You certainly can, it won't hurt it. Its just not necessary to keep the rust off. I don't like the outside of my guns being slick so I usually forgo that step.
By mudge
Militec oil and Militec grease on the rails.

When in the field, Remoil wipes and remoil with boresnake.
By ketel1
I heard that Militech was pretty good. Its all synthetic right?
By mudge
I use a mix of break-free and Militec oil, and Militec grease on the slide.
By ChrisNCT
I use Rem Oil for all my lub needs!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!