Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General car chit-chat for the auto guys
By SR9
Any bikers out there riding to work? I have this week and it has been a bit chilly at 40 degrees or there about. The ride home has been very nice though.

I was surprised this morning to see 6 bikes already at work when I arrived at 6:30am. Bike fever is spreading with the dry weather. :D
By Mike-Sid
Great Vin! I've been riding to work most days for 2 weeks now. Already got 1k miles this year. Today I have to go to a meeting at Hartford for 10am. I hope to get out early and take a ride after before all the rush hour traffic.
Do you find your self taking the long way home too? :D
By PaiN
I'm going to suffer another year with bike fever... :?
As much as I want to ride again, I'm never going too.
By Hermes
I ride to work whenever the weather is nice and I'm not planning on going straight from work to somewhere else where it may be inconvenient to be on a motorcycle. That ends up being about 2-3 times a week for me.
By Mike_Diako
Every year that I miss my bike I think of all the assholes that damn near killed me. With that said, I miss my bike dearly and I will own one again.
By Jason
I live in central CT and worked in New Haven for the last 17 years. I didn't commute too often on the bike but in the last couple of years I started doing it a lot more.

What makes you guys decide to not take a motorcycle out? Weather rarely was a deciding factor; About the only time I won't ride in is if there's ice on the road. Cold down to about the 20's or rain is OK.

I just moved jobs to Hartford so probably will ride less to work... will find out after a few days of seeing how bad the traffic is.

Anyone commute North in to Hartford on 91 on a bike?
By CTSixshot
Used to have a bike as my sole transportation. If you dress, you can handle most any weather, but it's a pain!
Needless to say, when someone offered to buy my tired old CX500 with 230K or more on it, I didn't hesitate...
By SR9
Mike-Sid wrote:Great Vin! I've been riding to work most days for 2 weeks now. Already got 1k miles this year. Today I have to go to a meeting at Hartford for 10am. I hope to get out early and take a ride after before all the rush hour traffic.
Do you find your self taking the long way home too? :D
Yes! How did you know? It always takes another 20-30 miles to get home after work. I have just over 500 miles on this bike now.

Also, thanks for the glove liners. They were a big help.

Jason, I used to ride like you but old age has changed my limits. Comfort seems to be the deciding factor these days. I never did enjoy riding in the rain other than a thunder shower in the Summer. Getting soft in my old age I guess.

CT, I agree. Just have to dress for success and one can survive and actually enjoy a wide variety of environments. I learned the importance of being prepared for conditions with the VFD. Nothing like a night out in -10 degree cold to appreciate good warm clothing under the nomex.

For you guys that do not have a bike I feel your pain. I took a long hiatus from riding and missed it a lot. Hope you can get back to it soon.
By CTSixshot
Thanks, but I really don't miss it much. I did my share and really don't like being on the road, if i don't have to be. Heck, I got to dislike it with 18 wheels, let alone two!
Course, if you can get out to the Black Hills and Pacific Northwest, you'll love it.
By Mike-Sid
Something is wrong with my bike! Took 47 miles to get to my meeting in Hartford, from my house in Oxford. On the way home it took 90 miles! Some how I ended up in Ellington at TSI. So I picked up a few quarts of oil. :lol:
By CTSixshot
Mike-Sid wrote:Something is wrong with my bike! Took 47 miles to get to my meeting in Hartford, from my house in Oxford. On the way home it took 90 miles! Some how I ended up in Ellington at TSI. So I picked up a few quarts of oil. :lol:
Stop doing all those wheelies on the first leg of your trip!
By Mike-Sid
As for what determines if I'm going to ride my bike to work, it is weather. If it is raining or going to rain, I take the car or truck. I work outside, so I don't feel like playing in the rain all day. If I get caught in the rain, or have a trip planned, like Laconia this year I will go, I've ridden in the rain for hours before. But will not bother for going to work.
By SR9
Mike-Sid wrote:As for what determines if I'm going to ride my bike to work, it is weather. If it is raining or going to rain, I take the car or truck. I work outside, so I don't feel like playing in the rain all day. If I get caught in the rain, or have a trip planned, like Laconia this year I will go, I've ridden in the rain for hours before. But will not bother for going to work.
Same here, just does not appeal to me these days. Good job turning a 47 mile trip into a 90 mile cruise. Good day for it too.

84 was backed up so bad yesterday I got frustrated and took 25 to Newtown then 34 to oxford and back roads home. It did not take much longer than sitting in traffic on 84. You just know some bozo will start texting or what ever and rear end someone. I prefer it not be me on the bike.

I think I will avoid 84 all together today, Friday traffic is usually heavy.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!