Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

General car chit-chat for the auto guys
Well, the Hotchkis hood pin kit is installed.

After marking the location of the pin contact on the underside of the hood, drilling the 1-3/8" diameter hole. After the holes were drilled, I installed 1-3/4" OD rubber grommits that I had ordered for a nice finished look where the pin goes through the hood.

Once both holes on the underside were drilled and grommits installed, I located the next set of 3/4" diameter holes where the pins protrude through the hood. After the 3/4" diameter holes were drilled, I touched up the bare metal with blue enamel. The hood is aluminum but, what the heck.

Once that was done I closed the hood with the pins sticking up to start the next step of locating the top plates that sits on the hood. There are 4 screws that hold the plates to the hood, however there is a very steep angle on the undeside of the good and you cant mount screws and nuts. I got to reading about different type of fasteners for sheet metal and came across Jack Nuts. Once the 3/8" diameter hole for each jack nut is drilled, there is a rivit type tool that makes the install a breeze. These particular jack nuts are 10-24. The top plates were placed on the hood and holes were marked.

I drilled out the (4) 3/8" diameter holes around the 3/4" diameter pin holes for the Jack Nuts and then touched up around the holes with the blue enamel. I installed the jack nuts and then installed the top plates with the stainless steel 10-24 screws. After that was done all that was needed is to set the height of the pins. I had to cut some of the threaded portion of the rod for the correct height. Rods and backing nuts were installed and tightened, closed the hood, and installed the locking pins.

Heres the pics of the process and the end result.....

By SR9
Looks great! Nice Job. I always liked the looks of those.

Much simpler on a stock car though. They are not expected to last very long so no sense getting fussy.
By Mike-Sid
Nice job! Car sounds real nice too, Chris put an after market exhaust system on it. Real nice car!
By ChrisNCT
Heres the cables

Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!