Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

What if planning, survival, SHTF
By SR9
MessEleven wrote:We got very lucky here in Southbury....flickered a few times, but no outage. I guess CL&P figured we suffered enough after Irene and Halloween '11. :P
You must be lucky, my power went out 4:30pm on Monday and is still out. 2 big trees on the the lines on my street. Both were dead trees on private property. :roll:

Ran a boat load of calls with the FD until midnight last night too. Between 7pm and 10pm we kept all our guys in station because of the high winds. There is nothing the FD can do about trees down on power lines except to report it with the pole #.

My employer opened at 10:30 this morning so I am at work until when ever. Not many people here today.
By JohnFH
no power loss, one tree down, had to fix the run for the chickens.

Now doing the heating pad thing on the back.
By newguy
Barely any damage in my area. Power never went out feeling kinda foolish for getting all that gas in cans for generator
By Mike_Diako
Power went out for a second or two in Glastonbury then flickered a couple times. I'm not going to complain. Every storm, we lose power here. I got lucky this time. I'll save the gas for next time...
By SR9
Seems like the Northern parts of CT were not hit quite as bad as central and the shore line.

I am still on generator power and cable is still out. I am sure it will be awhile.
By myglimk2
I didn't lose power at all here in Shelton. My mom is still out in Bridgeport.
By Clawed
just got power on after 2 nights in the dark in norwich
By JohnB
we did great until yesterday afternoon when a drunk guy hit a pole and took it out
By newguy
Funny Thing Monday I almost got stuck in Middletown at a friends house over night. I went to NGX to pickup some of those 45 cast bullets. I made it just in time to get back to Portland because they closed the bridge at noon. untill following morning I would have been screwed. Good thing i know people in Middletown. So if I did get stuck I have a place to ride out storm
By Savage99
CL&P is totally incompetent. They are a cost plus company charging us for all their costs yet they still fail to deliver.

All other products have improved but not power.

Autos are way better, tires last much longer and medical care is fabulous and we are living better.

The power company had a whole year to cut back the trees and they did not.

Fire them.
By nuke
I live in Waterford. The town trucks/tree cutters had the roads in my area cleared by noon on tuesday, good job. They couldn't remove trees from the power lines as they had no CL&P support. I haven't seen one CL&P or "line truck/crew" yet. We started at 70 something % out right after the storm, 49% wed morning, 51% out wed afternoon, 51% this morning still no linemen/trucks. I'm gueesing the initial jump from 70 to 49 was an easy switching issue to restore power without line work.

So Where's the F'en Line Trucks!!!
By SR9
Unfortunately, many of the trees in my area that fell and took down power lines are just far enough back from the road that neither the town nor CL&P can do anything about them. I put a lot of blame on property owners for not taking care of the dead and damaged trees on their property. That will not eliminate the problem but it would go a long way in reducing the problems during storms. Both trees that came down on my street were dead and should have been taken down by the property owner long ago. At least that is what I have seen in my town.

One also has to look at the shear volume of damage and even if CL&P and UI had double the number of crews it would still be many days before power would be restored. There is no quick fix to problems on this scale.

I am not defending the power companies but they are not totally to blame for this. Just so you know I do not work for them either.

If we want to keep the wooded environment we have here in CT, and I do, then we have to do our part by cutting the dead trees and being prepared for events like this.

There is just no preventing this. Here we have hurricanes, out west they have devastating wild fires and the mid west has tornados. Nobody escapes the wrath of the weather.
By GreggAndrews
Bumf*uckhamsted reporting in:

Lost power for a few days (got it back two days ago), a few trees down.

Household riot ensued, resorted to eating coffee grounds. Ammunition low.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!