Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

What if planning, survival, SHTF
By PaiN
Who makes good quality gear at reasonable prices? Pack, sleeping bag, tent etc...?

I really like the Eberlestock Gunslinger(and yes it is more camping/hunting gear than the "tactical" crap they advertise), but its really expensive :(
http://www.eberlestock.com/Gunslinger%20M%20Series.htm
By JohnFH
The US military, stuff is built like a tank and surplus is cheap.

Anything else, you get what you pay for. As a general rule, the more expensive, the lighter and better built it is.
Last edited by JohnFH on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
By newguy
There a mil surplus store in Portland i know it abit of a ride for you but might be worth checking out they have lots of camping stuff

Quonset Surplus Store
11 Pickering Street, Portland, CT 06480
(860) 342-0612 ‎
By JohnFH
They are expensive, I was there a few weeks ago, you can do much better at online stores or blowmebay
By Hermes
Sort of depends on what you want. A lot of my camping gear is ALPS mountaineering. I find their stuff very solid, and not too expensive. The tradeoff is that they don't make things as lightweight as the more expensive brands. Of course, they don't make anything with a scabbard for a rifle. However, Eberlestock does sell scabbards you can strap onto just about any pack.

I have an ALPS Denali 5500 as my main pack. It's got enough capacity for just about anything - for group trips I led I'd haul an 8-person tent in it along with my sleeping bag, clothing, water, food, and lots of random things. I've never tried, but it's probably long enough that if I extend all the straps I could fit some of my shorter rifles completely inside.
By myglimk2
Just watched the video of that pack. I think I want one :lol:
By PaiN
myglimk2 wrote:Just watched the video of that pack. I think I want one :lol:
I'm going to look into it also.....
By sigequinox
Kealty (sp?) makes pretty good gear for the cost. I am thoroughly satisfied with my external frame pack--The Yukon
By JohnFH
Pretty much anything you get at EMS or LL Beans will do the job, you really need to define the job first.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!