Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

What if planning, survival, SHTF
By myglimk2
I'm curious to see everyones bug out bags and what you keep inside.
Also trying to get some info on what else I can stuff into mine.

Thanks guys!

I like the digi camo one in the pics. It's small,light, and it'll hold alot of stuff. It's also pretty rigid too. The black one, not so much. Not liking the material it's made of and it's also not very rigid. Kinda just flops around.
By JohnB
who ,makes the black one ? im looking for something similar
By JohnFH
the tag says "NcStar"
By myglimk2
JohnB wrote:who ,makes the black one ? im looking for something similar
NCStar, It's an OK bag. The material is a bit thin and just not as rigid. If you want this one, just throw me a box of 9mm or 5.56 and you can have it. :wink:
By JohnB
i got a box of 9 i can trade :)
By newguy
I use a labtop backpack it thick enough to carry heavy things and it got plenty of pockets and half the price of a range bag cus it not a speacility item
By PaiN
Here's mine.
Lots of cord, fire material, rain gear, mess kit, 1st aid, sanitation, tarps, extra clothes, basic fishing supplies, mutitool, blade sharpener, I have a few more things to add. On the outside, SOG wood saw, Craftsman camp hatchet and a Ka-Bar BK2. I can also latch on a sleeping bag and tent.

Last edited by PaiN on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PaiN
Mike_Diako wrote:Here is a pretty comprehensive .PDF file.

I have been putting together a bag and I could use some suggestions as well.

http://tomsebooks.com/BugoutBag.pdf
That's a hell of a write up, nice work.
Can I ask how much that PUR cost and where it came from? I've been on the hunt for a portable H20 filtration system. I bought an expensive Katadyn but sent it back, thinking I could do better for less.
I carry my water and weapons/ammo separately in a web belt and a camp pack.
By Mike_Diako
Not mine, just something I found helpful online.

I should have stated that I was not the person who wrote that. Sorry
By MadSmith
Just as important as the contents, is the container.

Light bugout bags for high mobility and short duration is ideal if you are relatively close to your bugout location. Pretty much any strong well built unobtrusive backpack will serve.

For longer field trek bags, I prefer a custom build.

Steel frame, straps, kidney belt, from large Alice backpack. Provides excellent support and comfortable carry of heavy items for long trips. I am perhaps biased in my opinion due to familiarity. Carried the damned things for years and way too many miles over rough and muddy terrain back in my army days.

Large heavy waterproof canvas duffel bag, wrapped like an eggroll in canvas tarps, black and cammo, then strapped to frame. Much more capacity than the regular large Alice backpack. Much sturdier construction material. Tarps come off and double as water resistant tent shelter and ground cover, for collecting rain water, as a blind for concealment, etc.

Folding-wheel heavy duty travel luggage dolly under the frame. Can be used to tow the cargo on level ground when you're sick of carrying it. Can be used to move heavier objects like filled collapsible 5gal water containers, etc. Comes apart and can be used as a pulley system for hoisting heavy objects up and down vertical elevations like trees, cliffs, etc.

Nothing must rattle or reflect. Looks like jerry rigged crap that a hobo might use. Doesn't look anything like an expensive and attractive target. Easily holds 150lbs of gear. Quickly breaks down into sub-components with alternative uses.

Have different bags for different purposes. Light evac bag straps easily onto heavy trekking supplies bag. Different field duffels for different climate and locale conditions.

Remember that the bugout bag is not a long duration survival pack. It is merely a 'bug-out' bag, containing essential supplies to allow one to reach your long duration cache/shelter on foot, if need be. Like if your vehicle got disabled. A bugout bag is not a 'hunkering down' bag.

The size and capabilities of the bag determine the balance between mobility and endurance. The lighter and more mobile the pack, the more you will be dependent on scrounging if it takes longer than expected to reach your intended destination. Don't go overboard and unnecessarily burden yourself to the point where you tire easily or become an easy target.
By myglimk2
JohnB wrote:i got a box of 9 i can trade :)
John, shoot me a PM and we'll set something up.

Some great info, keep it coming guys!
By myglimk2
Does anyone know of a website or someplace local that sells MRE's at a reasonable price?
By PaiN
myglimk2 wrote:Does anyone know of a website or someplace local that sells MRE's at a reasonable price?
Good luck with that...... :?
By newguy
You can buy MRE pretty reasonable here in Portland at Salvage hut. I know that not very local for you though.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!