News

We are now upgraded to the newest version of phpBB. It has more features. Enjoy.

If you've forgotten your password or are having trouble logging in, CLICK HERE for a reset password to be sent to you.

Bug Out bags and contents...

What if planning, survival, SHTF

Moderator: Moderators

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Bug Out bags and contents...

Postby myglimk2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:33 am

I'm curious to see everyones bug out bags and what you keep inside.
Also trying to get some info on what else I can stuff into mine.

Thanks guys!

I like the digi camo one in the pics. It's small,light, and it'll hold alot of stuff. It's also pretty rigid too. The black one, not so much. Not liking the material it's made of and it's also not very rigid. Kinda just flops around.

"I believe that the human race has developed a form of collective schizophrenia in which we are not only the slaves to this imposed thought behavior, but we are also the police force of it."
-David Icke

JohnB
Master II
Master II

Postby JohnB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:16 pm

who ,makes the black one ? im looking for something similar

JohnFH
Admin
Admin

Postby JohnFH » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:20 pm

the tag says "NcStar"

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:21 pm

JohnB wrote:who ,makes the black one ? im looking for something similar

NCStar, It's an OK bag. The material is a bit thin and just not as rigid. If you want this one, just throw me a box of 9mm or 5.56 and you can have it. :wink:
"I believe that the human race has developed a form of collective schizophrenia in which we are not only the slaves to this imposed thought behavior, but we are also the police force of it."

-David Icke

JohnB
Master II
Master II

Postby JohnB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:34 pm

i got a box of 9 i can trade :)

Mike_Diako
Expert IV
Expert IV

Postby Mike_Diako » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Here is a pretty comprehensive .PDF file.

I have been putting together a bag and I could use some suggestions as well.

http://tomsebooks.com/BugoutBag.pdf
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

newguy
High Master II
High Master II

Postby newguy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:08 pm

I use a labtop backpack it thick enough to carry heavy things and it got plenty of pockets and half the price of a range bag cus it not a speacility item

PaiN
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby PaiN » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Here's mine.
Lots of cord, fire material, rain gear, mess kit, 1st aid, sanitation, tarps, extra clothes, basic fishing supplies, mutitool, blade sharpener, I have a few more things to add. On the outside, SOG wood saw, Craftsman camp hatchet and a Ka-Bar BK2. I can also latch on a sleeping bag and tent.

Last edited by PaiN on Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Destroyer has arrived

"Even well-ordered republics are destined to decay into democracy and then into despotism." -Plato

PaiN
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby PaiN » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Mike_Diako wrote:Here is a pretty comprehensive .PDF file.

I have been putting together a bag and I could use some suggestions as well.

http://tomsebooks.com/BugoutBag.pdf

That's a hell of a write up, nice work.
Can I ask how much that PUR cost and where it came from? I've been on the hunt for a portable H20 filtration system. I bought an expensive Katadyn but sent it back, thinking I could do better for less.
I carry my water and weapons/ammo separately in a web belt and a camp pack.

"Even well-ordered republics are destined to decay into democracy and then into despotism." -Plato

Mike_Diako
Expert IV
Expert IV

Postby Mike_Diako » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Not mine, just something I found helpful online.

I should have stated that I was not the person who wrote that. Sorry
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MadSmith
Sharpshooter II
Sharpshooter II

Postby MadSmith » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Just as important as the contents, is the container.

Light bugout bags for high mobility and short duration is ideal if you are relatively close to your bugout location. Pretty much any strong well built unobtrusive backpack will serve.

For longer field trek bags, I prefer a custom build.

Steel frame, straps, kidney belt, from large Alice backpack. Provides excellent support and comfortable carry of heavy items for long trips. I am perhaps biased in my opinion due to familiarity. Carried the damned things for years and way too many miles over rough and muddy terrain back in my army days.

Large heavy waterproof canvas duffel bag, wrapped like an eggroll in canvas tarps, black and cammo, then strapped to frame. Much more capacity than the regular large Alice backpack. Much sturdier construction material. Tarps come off and double as water resistant tent shelter and ground cover, for collecting rain water, as a blind for concealment, etc.

Folding-wheel heavy duty travel luggage dolly under the frame. Can be used to tow the cargo on level ground when you're sick of carrying it. Can be used to move heavier objects like filled collapsible 5gal water containers, etc. Comes apart and can be used as a pulley system for hoisting heavy objects up and down vertical elevations like trees, cliffs, etc.

Nothing must rattle or reflect. Looks like jerry rigged crap that a hobo might use. Doesn't look anything like an expensive and attractive target. Easily holds 150lbs of gear. Quickly breaks down into sub-components with alternative uses.

Have different bags for different purposes. Light evac bag straps easily onto heavy trekking supplies bag. Different field duffels for different climate and locale conditions.

Remember that the bugout bag is not a long duration survival pack. It is merely a 'bug-out' bag, containing essential supplies to allow one to reach your long duration cache/shelter on foot, if need be. Like if your vehicle got disabled. A bugout bag is not a 'hunkering down' bag.

The size and capabilities of the bag determine the balance between mobility and endurance. The lighter and more mobile the pack, the more you will be dependent on scrounging if it takes longer than expected to reach your intended destination. Don't go overboard and unnecessarily burden yourself to the point where you tire easily or become an easy target.
The Freedom Shoppe
25 Old State Road, New Milford, CT 06776
(860) 350-3502
Class 7 FFL (Manufacturer), black rifles, customization, prototyping, consignments, layaways, $25 transfers.

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:43 pm

JohnB wrote:i got a box of 9 i can trade :)

John, shoot me a PM and we'll set something up.

Some great info, keep it coming guys!

-David Icke

myglimk2
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby myglimk2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Does anyone know of a website or someplace local that sells MRE's at a reasonable price?

-David Icke

PaiN
High Master IV
High Master IV

Postby PaiN » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:34 am

myglimk2 wrote:Does anyone know of a website or someplace local that sells MRE's at a reasonable price?

Good luck with that...... :?

newguy
High Master II
High Master II

Postby newguy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:46 am

You can buy MRE pretty reasonable here in Portland at Salvage hut. I know that not very local for you though.

Return to “Survival Planning”