Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Off-Topic Discussions
By myglimk2
Thanks HD and everyone else for the positive replies!

Today was pretty rough as far as cravings go. Should get better as time goes on.
By MessEleven
If you don't do it on your own, you can always do it the way I did: a massive heart attack that came minutes from killing me. It's a bad option because it hurts like a mother, but it's probably in your future if you don't quit another way. In fact it hurt so bad, it was as if I had never smoked a day in my life when I left the hospital. I guess somewhere in my brain, something unconsciously shut it off.

Have your wife ask her doctor about Chantix. It has a crazy high percentage of success. Expensive, but almost guaranteed to work.
By myglimk2
Thanks MessEleven! Sorry to hear about the heart attack. Hoping to avoid any serious health issues. Bad enough I already need a spinal fusion on my lower back and I'm not even 30 yet, well in a few weeks I'll be. :lol:

Thanks again for the recommendation for the Chantix, I'll pass that on to her.
By MessEleven
myglimk2 wrote:Thanks MessEleven! Sorry to hear about the heart attack. Hoping to avoid any serious health issues. Bad enough I already need a spinal fusion on my lower back and I'm not even 30 yet, well in a few weeks I'll be. :lol:

Thanks again for the recommendation for the Chantix, I'll pass that on to her.
Absolutely! I really do wish you and your wife success. But nobody can make you do it...you have to decide on your own. And quitting's one of the toughest things to do.

Although Mark Twain said quitting smoking was the easiest thing he ever did..."Hell, I've quit a hundred times!" :lol:
By myglimk2
So far the cravings today have been minimal. Feeling a bit better too. Gaining some of my smell and taste back. Didn't realize how badly my car smelled, my apologies to anyone that took a ride in it! :lol:

My wife is making another attempt to stop again today. I believe she has a Dr's apt tomorrow. Was explaining to her that I'm here for her and that I won't force her to quit even though I am. Also that it would be easier for her since I'm in the process. Baby steps for her, that's all. 8)
By Hddreamer
Congratulations ! It's a long road ahead but you went this far so don't f u** it up ,I remember even after a year wanting to lite up but I wasn't going to give up what I worked for so your road is going to be a long one but just remember its not a impossible ,don't forget that at all , you can do it !
By myglimk2
Hddreamer wrote:Congratulations ! It's a long road ahead but you went this far so don't f u** it up ,
:lol:
Trust me, the last thing I want to do is back now! I really appreciate all the positive stuff from you guys, it is truly helping!
Plus, I'm looking forward to my new Harley next year. :D
By Mike-Sid
You can do it! I was a heavy smoker, 1-2+ packs a day. I finally quit about 10 years ago after watching a loved one die of lung cancer in Hospice. For me it was impossible to not smoke when I drank. I was good for a pack just at the bar. So I basically quit drinking for a year to get over the hump.
It was hard to quit, but you have to want to quit. I you want to quit you can do it. I have zero urges to smoke, and have not for years.

Jeff you can do it, keep in mind your goals. Good luck!
By myglimk2
Mike-Sid wrote:You can do it! I was a heavy smoker, 1-2+ packs a day. I finally quit about 10 years ago after watching a loved one die of lung cancer in Hospice. For me it was impossible to not smoke when I drank. I was good for a pack just at the bar. So I basically quit drinking for a year to get over the hump.
It was hard to quit, but you have to want to quit. I you want to quit you can do it. I have zero urges to smoke, and have not for years.

Jeff you can do it, keep in mind your goals. Good luck!
Thanks Mike! 8)
By JohnB
jeff..I stopped my 2 pack a day habit around 7 years ago when my mother died from lung cancer, I found out what my "trigger" events were to light up and replaced them..even drove a different way to work because id light up at a specific point so I could smoke a full cig before I got home, I found that helped a great deal, I used the lozenges to help me stop too, I have a cigar now and then but just like bill..i don't inhale :)
By myglimk2
Sorry to hear that, John!
By myglimk2
Guilty as charged!

I slipped and smoked a cigarette last night, well, half of one. I am kind of glad that I did though. It was absolutely horrible and I spent the next hour trying to get the smell and taste out of my mouth. It made me realize how disgusting it really is and how much I don't want to go back to smoking.
By Hddreamer
Come on Jeff ! 1/2 a smoke ???? REALLY.??? after all that time :wall:
Your better than that man ! Cut the crap you haven't you seen by your friends on this forum that a few of them that quit and haven't gone back? Those are the ones that go cold turkey , that means NO ,NONE, NODA! Get it together man don't you want to be riding next spring? ,
Or are you going to tell your buddy's that ride "hey I'll follow behind smokin my cigarettes" instead .
By mu2bdriver
I'm a little late to the party on this but from what a close friend has told me what he's seen with the e-cigs in a hospital environment...

Most smokers keep their pack/day habit when transitioning to the e-cigs and puff on them what they feel is an equivalent amount of time that they would normally spend smoking. They're allegedly designed to be puffed on just a few times per day and if you keep the volume behaviors of the past, you're taking in an enormous amount of whatever chemicals they put in them and those chemicals are bypassing your lungs but going directly to your heart. He tells people that use them often that the better option is probably to stick with the traditional cigs: you're either going to have a generally known damage to your lungs or a widely unknown damage to your heart.
By myglimk2
Hddreamer wrote:Come on Jeff ! 1/2 a smoke ???? REALLY.??? after all that time :wall:
Your better than that man ! Cut the crap you haven't you seen by your friends on this forum that a few of them that quit and haven't gone back? Those are the ones that go cold turkey , that means NO ,NONE, NODA! Get it together man don't you want to be riding next spring? ,
Or are you going to tell your buddy's that ride "hey I'll follow behind smokin my cigarettes" instead .
I'm looking at it as a benefit. It made me realize how much that I do not want to back to them. It was utterly disgusting now that I have gained my sense of smell and taste back. It also gave me a massive headache.
Trust me, I will not be going back to cigs!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!