Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Off-Topic Discussions
By myglimk2
With anticipation of hopefully getting my surgery approved this time around I need to quit smoking (again). I'm not new to the E-cig as I tried it a few years ago with OK results but ended up smoking cigarettes while still doing the E-Cig. My cousin recently introduced me to the latest and greatest version of them and he has had excellent results with it. He and I are/were both heavy smokers, especially when around one another, lol. He has been with out a cigarette for over 3 weeks now with no desire what so ever to pick one back up again.
So I figured since he is having excellent luck with the new ones, that I would give them a try. Well, I picked up the basic starter kit from a place in Milford called "U-Vapor" (or something like that). I know it's only been about 3 hours since my last cigarette but already that is an improvement for me anyways.
Curious to see if anyone else has tried this route and how you made out with them.
I'll see if I can find a link somewhere to the one I have and post it up for you guys.

Really looking forward to all the benefits of quiting and hopefully I'll be able to afford a new semi-auto pistol! :lol:
By myglimk2
By MessEleven
I saw a display of one of the brands at Costco last weekend. I don't know anything about them, but Costco pricing usually rocks.
By myglimk2
I over spent a little bit by buying locally, and not shopping around. Was still worth it though if this can get me to stop buying cigarettes. Currently spending around $2-$250 a month on cigarettes. :wall:
By newguy
Liquid ones work better then cartiage ones. They come in larger doses of nicotine then carttriges. So if your a heavy smoker they work better.
By JohnFH
You could just grow a set and quit, you can do anything you want to if you want it bad enough.

I quit 12 years ago, just quit, first an hour at a time, then it was a day. Before I knew it, it was a week.

Stick your cig money in a jar and buy yourself something nice, that's how I got my Harley.
By myglimk2
I've quit like that twice in the past. Just harder this time around since I really did not want to give it up. Since I want my back fixed, and cigs may be in the way of that, they're outta here!! :lol:

Maybe that's how I'll acquire my Harley to. :twisted:
By Hddreamer
Just quit cold Turkey ! I know it's not easy I was up to two packs a day woke up one morning grabed my smokes like I always did when I woke up ( not even getting out of bed ) and lit up ! After a few drags I put it out then crumbled the pack ....end of story ! That was over 20 years ago ,
I have seen time and time again people trying new gadgets , "cutting down " patches and there all smokin again , let's face it you have to put it in your mind NO MORE and stick to it no excuses ,no compromise ,no maybe tomarrow !
When I quit smokes just turned $1.00 a pack ya , that lets you know how Long ago that was , just try and figure out how much I have saved since then 2 packs a day till now !
And no I don't have that money now but if I did retirement wouldn't be such a scarry word ! Thats a whole different story ! Lol
If ya really want to do it you can ya just got to stay strong !
Best of luck to ya no matter how you do it !
By Sebring_Pop
I'm with Hddreamer. I quit cold turkey in 1998.

Best of Luck

Pop

Keep us posted.
By myglimk2
I quit cold turkey the first few times. Only went back to smoking was because I was young and dumb at those times.
I agree, cold turkey would have been the best way. I enjoy smoking cigs and wasn't ready to give it up yet. So I went to the E-cig.

It's 8:38am right now on 10/19 and I still haven't had one and it's approaching the 24hr mark soon!
This is the first morning without a cigarette and I know I don't have to tell you guys but it took everything I had not to grab my wifes pack of smokes when I woke up.

I think it is more that I am still use to the routine of smoking. So far the E-cig is doing what it was made for. If I can avoid picking up a cigarette for a few days and find other things to do to break the routine I should have better chances.
By Hddreamer
Just my own two cents but maybe you can convince your wife to quit with you , if you spend 250.00 a month and let's just say your wife spends half that 125.00 a month that's 375.00 x 12 months that's 4500.00 a year ,now tell your wife if she wants that pack of smokes or a trip to island somewhere , she may just go for it and there will be a lot less temptation on your end ! Do what it takes just don't let the temptation get the best of you !
By myglimk2
Lol, thanks HD!

She is also going to be attempting to quit also. She smoked her last one a few hours ago. She made an apt. with the Doc to discuss ways for her to quit. Cold turkey isn't going to work for her and neither are patches. She doesn't like the E-cig. Curious to see what her doc has to say. :shrug:
By Hddreamer
Well then the best of luck to the both of you then, but if both of you ways to quit seems to be failing , remember plan b .......COLD TURKEY :)
By myglimk2
That didn't last very long (for her). She just got home and found out she bought a pack. :roll:

I'm still going strong, though! :music1:
By Hddreamer
Good for you keep up the good work!
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!