Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Off-Topic Discussions
By coldwater
My wife took the NRA class for her permit, went to the locaL PD for printing, and needed to have her signature notarized for the paperwork. While she was doing business at our bank she asked if the notary was in, and was directed to the proper person. The woman was pleasant and helpful, until she found out the stamp was needed on a permit application. She flatly refused to notarize the papers, and told my wife that the bank policy is firm that no pistol permits will be notarized at liberty bank. When the last of our outstanding checks clear, we will close out both of our business accounts, joint checking, and savings, and go next door to Bank north. This was at the portland office of liberty bank.
By myglimk2
I could be wrong but, I didn't think a Notary Public could deny if all the paperwork is filled out properly, regardless if it is "bank policy". ? :?
By coldwater
myglimk2 wrote:I could be wrong but, I didn't think a Notary Public could deny if all the paperwork is filled out properly, regardless if it is "bank policy". ? :?
I'm not sure, but I would think that would in fact, be the case. However, the notary flatly refused, and stated it to be bank policy. On the bright side, the police officer that finger printed her was more than friendly and helpful, and congratulated her on her decision to get her permit. He even sent her in the right direction for the next steps in the process. the people at the town hall were also very helpful. I could not be more disappointed with Liberty bank over this policy, and wanted to share it.
By Hddreamer
They won't be getting my business ...ever!
By PaiN
"Liberty" Bank........ I don't get it? :?

:lol:
By denick
coldwater,

Send your story to the online news channel TheBlaze at http://www.theblaze.com/ look all the way to the bottom where it says send a tip. They love this kind of story and going after people who handle themselves like this.
By AFS1970
Here is what the Notary Manual from the Secretary of State says:

4.2.1 Refusal of Service

A notary under Connecticut General Statute section 3-94f Prohibition re lawful
transaction, “… shall not unreasonably refuse to perform notarial acts in lawful transactions for any requesting person who tenders payment of statutory fee.” This office does not define the term “unreasonable.”

There may be legal implications not covered by this manual of which your employer may be wary.

Please consult counsel on these matters.

Now depending on what the form says, most state forms can also have the signature verified by a Justice of the Peace. There are plenty of us that are gun owners.
By AFS1970
I should have read the whole manual before posting, but not being a notary I just looked at that one bit. Then I got curious and found two other interesting sections.

Sec. 3-94m. Warning, reprimand, revocation, suspension, resignation. (a) The Secretary may deliver a written, official warning and reprimand to a notary, or may revoke or suspend a notary's appointment, as a result of such notary's official misconduct or on any ground for which an application for appointment as a notary may be denied, or for a violation of any provision of the general statutes.

But this is the better part considering what the notary said about her bank.

Sec. 3-94l. Liability. (a) A notary public shall be liable to any person for all damages proximately caused to that person by the notary's official misconduct.

(b) An employer of a notary shall be liable to any person for any damages proximately caused to that person by the notary's official misconduct related to the employer's business, if the employer
directed, encouraged, consented to, ratified or approved the notary's official misconduct, either in the particular transaction or, implicitly, by previous actions in at least one similar transaction.

Now I am not a Lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, but I don't think there were any damages in this case. It still might be worth making a complaint to the Secretary of State's office about the refusal. It might also be worth giving a copy of the liability statute to the bank when you close out your accounts.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!