Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Off-Topic Discussions
Starbucks says guns are no longer welcome in its cafes, though it is stopping short of an outright ban on firearms.

The fine line that the retailer is walking to address the concerns of both gun rights and gun control advocates reflects how heated the issue has become, particularly in light of recent mass shootings.

Most states allow people to openly carry licensed guns in some way and many companies do not have laws banning firearms in their stores. But Starbucks has become a target for gun control advocates, in part because of its liberal-leaning corporate image. In turn, gun rights advocates have been galvanized by the company's decision to defer to local laws.

In an interview, CEO Howard Schultz said the decision to ask customers to stop bringing guns into stores came as a result of the growing frequency of "Starbucks Appreciation Days," in which gun rights advocates turned up at Starbucks cafes with firearms.

Schultz said the events mischaracterized the company's stance on the issue and the demonstrations "have made our customers uncomfortable."

Schultz hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns but says the company will nevertheless serve those who do.

"We will not ask you to leave," he said.

http://news.msn.com/us/starbucks-says-g ... s11&stay=1
Last edited by hayes1966 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By XM15
Its amazing how places like Starbucks are pressured to take sides when all they want to do is serve their customers. So they cave and say that they don't like firearms, while in reality it won't affect anything about the way they do business.

Line up with the establishment or be crushed by the jackboot!
By hayes1966
Worth reading imo.

This Is Why We Cant Have Nice Things – Starbucks

Well. We have done it.

I say we, as in the collective gun-owners and 2nd Amendment supporters/enthusiasts of this nation. We win together, and we lose together.

Last week, we shared a major victory in Colorado with the recall of two anti-gun politicians. Thats our Win.

This week, we have finally forced Starbucks to choose a side in the great gun debate. All the sabre rattling, and “starbucks appreciation days” and open carry foolishness we could throw at them. They finally made a decision.

Good Job. Well done. We have “educated” them and their “liberal” customers who don’t particularly share our views and affinity for all things that go bang.

The decision is in, and it is not in our favor. Starbucks has said that they do not wish to see “guns as a part of the Starbucks experience.” We have educated them to the point that they would prefer we just go away…or at least leave them out of it. They have said that they will not ask anyone open-carrying to leave, nor will they post signs regarding the policy. Frankly, I wish they would. I hope the “activists” have the intestinal fortitude to respect their wishes…but I’m not holding my breath based on how they have acted in the past. Calling for a boycott is weak-sauce, too.

We have essentially forced neutral Switzerland into the hands of the Nazis. A company that was not restrictive in their corporate policy. A company who followed local law. We forced them onto the national stage– without consulting them about it, I might add– and into the center of a rather divisive debate. Replete with “I Love Guns and Coffee” patches and t-shirts and mugs and all sorts of other cute little trinkets.

read the rest here

http://practicaltacticalpodcast.com/starbucks/
By MessEleven
It's douchebags like those in the photos of the article that do more damage to legal gun owners than any anti-gun pricks could ever do. I'd like to kick these assholes in the nuts. And frankly even though I carry every day of my life, if I walked into a store and saw one of these numbskulls with a long gun, I'd turn around and walk out. I understand Starbuck's position completely.

Open carry is a bit lame anyway, but hey...your choice. It's legal. But carrying long guns including shotties and AR's into a restaurant "just because they can?" What a bunch of effing morons.

The end of the article sums it up perfectly...Practical takeaway: Just because you CAN doesn’t always mean you SHOULD.
By AFS1970
I disagree with that article that says we forced Starbucks to take a stand, if that were the case all their liberal activism would have forced customers to become supporters of the constitution. The fact is that they were a left leaning but barely libertarian company to begin with, frankly I am surprised it took this long.

I support open carry, although I have seen too many videos online of folks that set out to cause trouble in order to make their videos more interesting. It is not just us, I saw one about handicapped parking spaces that was even worse than any open carry video. It is just that some of these videos take the attitude that there is a sleeping bear over there by that tree, lets go and poke him with sticks until he wakes up, better yet, lets cover ourselves in honey first.

Now as for Starbucks, I think we should organize events, with or without guns, where we all go to Dunkin Donuts get drinks and then head over to the nearest Starbucks and walk in front of the place, stop and talk with each other, just go about a slightly exaggerated version of our normal every day activities. In front of their business (not inside) with their competitors product. Not a formal rally or event, just say a group of us who are willing to meet up and accidentally run into each other on the sidewalk during a few hour time period.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!