Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Off-Topic Discussions
By nvisn
I've bought 2 dual band HT FM radios in the past week (Baofeng/Yaseu) and I'm starting to study for the tech class license.
By JohnFH
not yet, but I want too
By newguy
I got a no code lisence when I was a teenager. I sold all my equipment though
By mu2bdriver
Extra class and a VE. Need to renew both later this year and want to get back into it in the fall/winter. I did a lot of 10 and 20 meter when I was in high school when I was thinking about perusing an EE career.
By SR9
Most of my equipment is packed away but I hope I will get it set up over the next year or so. I would like to get active again. I worked all bands and had a bunch of fun while I had to stay home when my wife used to work and the kids were infants.
By CTSixshot
I think that's the brand my dad has. He was a radioman in the USN, but I don't think he ever had the ham license. Heck, who can read/send code these days?
By nvisn
CTSixshot wrote:I think that's the brand my dad has. He was a radioman in the USN, but I don't think he ever had the ham license. Heck, who can read/send code these days?
Gary, the technician ticket no longer requires code.
By mu2bdriver
Tech hasn't required code since it was introduced a long time ago and no license class requires CW proficiency anymore. There isn't even a Novice or Tech Plus license either, just a Tech, General, and Extra. I don't necessarily agree with doing away with even just a basic code requirement, but it's one of the ways they're trying to cast a larger net in the Internet age. Why bother with AR when you can Skype, IM, etc. even though there really aren't similarities between the two other than when communications are normal. I've always had Kenwood and Yaesu radios and were very happy with their performance. Tag shows and flea markets are great places to pick up some quality gear at the right price.
By ketel1
Where do you get the material to study for a tech class Nvisn?
By myglimk2
What's the point of all this "HAM" stuff? I'm only curious and not trying to be or sound like an A-hole! :P
By denick
A few members of our Rescue Squad have been taking some training and 1 went for the testing for the first level license. They said this is the place it's out of Newington, CT.

http://www.arrl.org/
Last edited by denick on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By nvisn
ketel1 wrote:Where do you get the material to study for a tech class Nvisn?
I got a ham study guide on my android.
By SR9
myglimk2 wrote:What's the point of all this "HAM" stuff? I'm only curious and not trying to be or sound like an A-hole! :P
Good question myglimk2. Here is my take on it after quite a few years :

It gives you the ability to talk to people from all over the USA and the world given the proper equipment.

On the low bands(1.8 to 28Mhz) I have talked to all 50 states and over 30 countries. My equipment and antennas were modest at best.

On the high Bands(144mhz/2meters) I have made contacts as far south as Virginia and as far West as Ohio under the right conditions.

Amateur radio is a hobby with a boat load of modes and frequency ranges in which to communicate including digital communication.

Hard to summarize it all in just a few lines of text. It is like shooting in a way with many directions to go.

Help answer the question?
By myglimk2
Thanks, SR9! That does sum it up, pretty much. I never really looked into and have only heard a few talk about it. Sounds interesting and I can see where it would be fun!
Thanks again for answering my question! :D
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!