Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Off-Topic Discussions
By PaiN
myglimk2 wrote:What's the point of all this "HAM" stuff? I'm only curious and not trying to be or sound like an A-hole! :P
IMO....For time being at least, HAM and sign language are the only non-PRISM monitored forms of communication. :? and it might come in handy after the apocalypse :lol:
By ketel1
I like it because its a form of communication that doesnt rely on cell antenna satellite or hard line. All three of which that can go down or be shut down....at anytime... I Also think its pretty cool that you can make QSO's with the spacestation too.
By myglimk2
So do CB radios qualify as HAM's?

I remember as a kid playing on my fathers CB radio in his truck and joking with the truckers while he was driving on I95. :lol:
I was maybe 7 years old or so.
By SR9
ketel1 wrote:I like it because its a form of communication that doesnt rely on cell antenna satellite or hard line. All three of which that can go down or be shut down....at anytime... I Also think its pretty cool that you can make QSO's with the spacestation too.
That is cool. I worked U2MIR on 2m from a parking lot in my car way back.
By SR9
myglimk2 wrote:So do CB radios qualify as HAM's?

I remember as a kid playing on my fathers CB radio in his truck and joking with the truckers while he was driving on I95. :lol:
Nope. CB is a free for all. Not so with HAM radio. HAMs are licensed and have legal limits on the frequencies they can operate on and power limits.
By myglimk2
Need a stupid license to do anything! :evil:
By nvisn
SR9 wrote:
myglimk2 wrote:So do CB radios qualify as HAM's?

Nope. CB is a free for all. Not so with HAM radio. HAMs are licensed and have legal limits on the frequencies they can operate on and power limits.
CBs have limits as well - 4 watts. That didn't exactly stop me from running a 1kw Dave Made on my 102" whip back in the days. :lol: I used to keep a copper cable coil in my trunk grounded to the chassis of my 95 Impala SS. I would drive to the beach and toss the cable into the sound. Long Island Sound worked as a great ground plane.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!