Connecticut Preparedness 

A community of Connecticut neighbors discussing topics important for preparedness and self-reliance.

Laws regarding firearms
So I'm hoping somebody can help the town out here. I know back in 2010 the state said these were not required as per: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/lib/bfpe/bfpedeclrule.pdf but over two years later Greenwich still requires them. Since it is not a problem for me I am still going to give them the letters they need, but this disregard for a ruling bugs me. It would be one thing if they requested them, but the literary won't accept the application without them. What's further irritating is that they require an actual signed letter and since one of mine is coming from a friend not currently in CT it's an extra loophole.

I know I could fight them on this, but at the end of the day I also know its just going to mean they deny my permit for a stupid reason and then I have to go to court and fight it. Once I have my permit you can be sure I'll bring this to their attention, but for the time being it's quite irritating.

They also only let you turn in application between 12:30-2:00 on Tuesdays and Thursday so they can "check" it's complete.
By budget76
I have the same situation right now in Rocky Hill. I just moved to CT from NJ after graduating, and all my references are in NJ. I plan on getting them this weekend since I was planning a trip down anyway, but am confused with the Notary part.

The form I have, and the officer who gave me the forms, say something about the letters needing to be notarized. Does this mean I need to actually go to a town hall and pay to have them stamped? Does the reccomender need to be there with me? Seems they want it a big PITA so people give up.

Also wondering if it would be better to get them from CT residents I've known for 4 years, or NJ residents I've known my whole life?

Not trying to hijack, but I figure you may know a little more than I do on the subject. RH also has that stupid time restraint to turn it in :roll:

Thanks
By whubbard
It's really irritating because it's basically not meant to be allowed. They are having us do their "background investigation" for them. If we don't, they get all angry because they have extra work.

In regards to having a letter notarized, the person writing it will need to go to the notary. The notary will check their ID, they will then sign the letter and the notary will put their stamp on the letter confirming that you reference was actually the one to sign it.

Good luck :roll:
By budget76
Thanks for the Notary info, that will prove to be an even bigger pain. I'll probably bribe my buddies with some beer :lol: I had planned on asking neighbors/parents friends, but that seems like WAY too much work for me to ask them to do.

I'm in the same boat as you now that I have this info, I'd like to go in and say that the reccomendations arent required, but don't want the process delayed any longer than necessary. I'm hoping to get it by mid-October (at least the one that lets me purchase if not carry), and my guess is they will move at a snails pace and I'll be cutting it close (if I do get it by then).

Thanks again for the info
By JohnFH
As much as it sucks, the ONLY way to get them to back down is to stand up to them. Spend the $50 bucks and get a lawyer to give them notice of thier violation of the law and submit it with your application.

If you cave in, then the next thing will be "well we only give permit applications to people with red hair on tuesdays" and any other bull crap they think they can get away with.

THEY work for us, hold them accountable to the same laws we are.
By budget76
Going to give the Rocky Hill station a call tomorrow to discuss the reccomendations they require. I plan on referencing the document listed above, and want to see what they say when I tell them that state law does not require any additional information
By hayes1966
Go to the state police and get your prints done there. Mail your completed application along with money orders for the various amounts to the chief of police via certified mail. Call at week 7 to see if your permit is ready.
By budget76
Just spoke with the Records department in Rocky Hill. She understood that the references were not a state law and that they could not be required, but stated the Chief in Rocky Hill tried to requre them.

I mentioned to here how I have just moved from NJ, and that requiring them to be notarized is a huge pain in the ass. I told her I cannot ask someone to spend an hour of their day filling out and notarizing a piece of paper that likely won't be looked at. She said the chief does look at them, but she HAS had at least one person in the past apply and refuse to hand them in. I will likely be doing this as well. She also said to attach a note that I just moved from NJ, can't ask people to waste their time yadda yadda.

I think I am going to submit it without the references, but include a copy of the link above that I highlighted when reading through. Going to try to get it done next week either Tuesday or Thursday. I am going back to NJ this weekend and may have some buddies fill out the references, but will NOT waste the time getting them notarized. The copy of the highlighted ruling WILL be included in the packet either way.

FWIW she was nice and understanding, and knew exactly what I was talking about and referencing. Sounds like the Chief in Rocky Hill is just being a pain in the ass in this aspect.
By fantomas
budget76 wrote:The form I have, and the officer who gave me the forms, say something about the letters needing to be notarized. Does this mean I need to actually go to a town hall and pay to have them stamped? Does the reccomender need to be there with me? Seems they want it a big PITA so people give up.
Wait, are you saying the letters of recommendation need to be notarized? I thought it was only the application. Your town clerk should do it for free, but I would re-read what needs to be notarized, and all the other written instructions, and pay no attention to what the cop said...
By punisher
Letters of reference? And on top of that notarized???

Uhh, i dont think so.
Wow! That is some crazy stuff.
Ive heard of the letters of reference, but notarizing them is crazy.
None of those are a requirement by state law.
By mu2bdriver
budget76 wrote:FWIW she was nice and understanding, and knew exactly what I was talking about and referencing. Sounds like the Chief in Rocky Hill is just being a pain in the ass in this aspect.
This also should prove to be an awakening experience about potential police abuses in your own town when they can unilaterally decide to change requirements on their whim. It makes you wonder what else they can decide to adjust based upon their opinions. Welcome to CT from an exiled NJ-er since 2004.
By Mopar
mu2bdriver wrote:
budget76 wrote:FWIW she was nice and understanding, and knew exactly what I was talking about and referencing. Sounds like the Chief in Rocky Hill is just being a pain in the ass in this aspect.
This also should prove to be an awakening experience about potential police abuses in your own town when they can unilaterally decide to change requirements on their whim. It makes you wonder what else they can decide to adjust based upon their opinions. Welcome to CT from an exiled NJ-er since 2004.
Another ex joisey boy here, also in 2004.
By 05roadking
I will be curious as to how this works out. My wife and son are going to go thru this in rocky hill soon
By punisher
What someone was real ugly and they looked like a killer of some sort.
Whos gonna give you a letter of recomendation and have it notarized on top of that.
By budget76
fantomas wrote:
budget76 wrote:The form I have, and the officer who gave me the forms, say something about the letters needing to be notarized. Does this mean I need to actually go to a town hall and pay to have them stamped? Does the reccomender need to be there with me? Seems they want it a big PITA so people give up.
Wait, are you saying the letters of recommendation need to be notarized? I thought it was only the application. Your town clerk should do it for free, but I would re-read what needs to be notarized, and all the other written instructions, and pay no attention to what the cop said...
Yep, the paper the chief attaches says "all three letters must be notarized." :roll:

I am getting into and leaving work early on Thursday to go get fingerprinted at the Rocky Hill police station. I will be submitting the blue state form "pistol permit application" that they gave me with a copy of the linked above document highlighted. I'll also be attaching a note stating that I have just moved from NJ and is it not only unreasonable to expect me to obtain letters of reccomendation from people 200 miles away while not required by law, but on top of that I cannot bring myself to ask someone to waste any of their time getting such a document notarized.

NJ required references, but you just gave a name and phone number and they may call if something comes up in your record. I listed the ex-mayor and ex-chief of police, so it was a little easier in my hometown :lol:

I have been busy with work, but will make sure to post up with any news I get. If I have time I will post the sheet they attached that lists what is ''required'' to be submitted.
Gardens

I hope there are still some plants available. Our […]

Spring Soon

The weather is getting better. Dust off your 2 whe[…]

Snow on the way!

Looks like another snow fall for CT this weekend. […]

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day to all the Patriots here on[…]

Join The Discussion!